Beef enchiladas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice Steve, looks good to me , I have never made also.
I can't see how they would not get a little wet on the bottom with everything that goes in them.

Watching for your tweaks and ideas.

David

Nice Steve, looks good to me , I have never made also.
I can't see how they would not get a little wet on the bottom with everything that goes in them.

Watching for your tweaks and ideas.

David
Thanks David! I might make another attempt this weekend.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Steve, good looking plate. I have a good ol west Texas enchilada sauce recipe if you ever want to try and make your own! Got it from my grandmother. Have a good one.

Fred

They look really good on my screen Steve. Your disappointment is still better then my only experience with enchiladas. They were from an Old El Pasa can, and pretty disgusting.

Point for sure
Chris

Very sorry to hear that it didn't meet expectations but it sure looks good from my vantage point. If/when you decide to try again and want to elevate it, I have an enchilada sauce recipe I put together that's REALLY good. Quick and simple to make but over the top. Just lemme know if you'd like me to post the recipe. Don't give up though. you're well on the path to some fine Mexican cuisine there buddy.

Robert

Steve, good looking plate. I have a good ol west Texas enchilada sauce recipe if you ever want to try and make your own! Got it from my grandmother. Have a good one.

Thanks Fred! I wouldn't mind seeing that recipe if you don't mind. You have a good one as well.

Looks good to me for a first time!
Jim
Thanks Jim!

They look really good on my screen Steve. Your disappointment is still better then my only experience with enchiladas. They were from an Old El Pasa can, and pretty disgusting.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! I tried the canned ones before too. YUCK!

Very sorry to hear that it didn't meet expectations but it sure looks good from my vantage point. If/when you decide to try again and want to elevate it, I have an enchilada sauce recipe I put together that's REALLY good. Quick and simple to make but over the top. Just lemme know if you'd like me to post the recipe. Don't give up though. you're well on the path to some fine Mexican cuisine there buddy.

Robert
Thanks Robert! I would like to see the enchilada sauce recipe. I might to trying it again this weekend.

Steve,
This is how we make red enchilada sauce out here where I’m from. If you get a chance to make it I hope you enjoy it. It’s best with corn tortillas. My favorite is just cheese topped with the sauce and raw onions. It’s good with beef as well.

Ingredients
1 tsp garlic salt
4 tbs chili powder
1/3 cup flour
3 cups water

In a measuring cup mix 1/3 cup flour with 3 cups of water. Whisk until well mixed. Add this to a skillet and mix in 1 teaspoon garlic salt and 4 tablespoons of chili powder. Bring the mixture to a boil as you stir. Reduce heat and simmer to desired thickness. May need to remove from heat to finish.

Enjoy,
Fred

Reactions: Steve H
Steve,
This is how we make red enchilada sauce out here where I’m from. If you get a chance to make it I hope you enjoy it. It’s best with corn tortillas. My favorite is just cheese topped with the sauce and raw onions. It’s good with beef as well.

Ingredients
1 tsp garlic salt
4 tbs chili powder
1/3 cup flour
3 cups water

In a measuring cup mix 1/3 cup flour with 3 cups of water. Whisk until well mixed. Add this to a skillet and mix in 1 teaspoon garlic salt and 4 tablespoons of chili powder. Bring the mixture to a boil as you stir. Reduce heat and simmer to desired thickness. May need to remove from heat to finish.

Enjoy,
Fred
Thanks Fred!

Afternoon folks,
Believe it or not. This was the first time I've made enchiladas. Made a ton of burritos and tacos. But not this.
I started out with a approx 4 pound top round.
Put it in the IP with:
14 to 15 oz. Stewed Tomatoes
½ tbs. Dried Oregano Leaf
½ tbs. Granulated Onion
2 tps. Garlic Powder
2 tsp. Cumin
2 tsp. Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
¼ tsp. Smoked Paprika
1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper, optional

View attachment 656544
Removed string. Trimmed off fat. And cut in half.

View attachment 656545

Added enough water to cover the meat. And cooked under high pressure for 2 hours. Did a manual pressure release.
Removed meat. And poured juices from IP into a bowl. Let the meat rest for 30 minutes. Then shredded.

View attachment 656546

Put meat back in IP. And added enough liquid to saturate the meat. I added a bit too much liquid. So, I used a cornstarch slurry to thicken it a touch. Tasted. And added more cayenne and cumin.
Used canned enchilada sauce.
View attachment 656547

Out of the oven. I gave it a good layer of 4 cheese Mexican blend.

View attachment 656548

Overall. It was somewhat of a disappointment. But I learned. Watch the liquid. And use corn tortillas.
Next time I'll nail it!
We live and learn my friend.

I bet you could chop that all up and add to a skillet to cook away the excess liquid and doctor it up a little more and end up with some version of a tortilla based enchilada hamburger helper as a great way to rehab this meal :D

You'll get your enchiladas nailed in no time :)

That looks darn good Steve. I could cozy up to a plate of that for sure!
Thanks Dave!

We live and learn my friend.

I bet you could chop that all up and add to a skillet to cook away the excess liquid and doctor it up a little more and end up with some version of a tortilla based enchilada hamburger helper as a great way to rehab this meal :D

You'll get your enchiladas nailed in no time :)
Thanks, I hope so!

Thanks Brian! I'll look that cheese up.
I could not find either the Cacique Enchilado Cheese or quesadilla ones today. They had the fresh cheese's Queso Fresco but have not tried those for this. I making a trip towards Dallas last week so will put off my enchiladas for now.

Thanks Robert! I would like to see the enchilada sauce recipe. I might to trying it again this weekend.
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this. Been a bit preoccupied the past few days. This recipe seems very involved and difficult but it's actually super easy and comes together real quick. Takes longer to get everything out than it takes tomake the sauce....but it in incredible!! 100% legit. Hey Brian ( BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma ) as much as you love Mexican food, you might wanna take a look at this one buddy.

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons flour (whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and gluten-free flour blends all work!)
1 tablespoon ground chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon guajillo pepper
1 teaspoon ancho pepper
½ teaspoon arbol pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
2 tablespoons tomato paste (I just use ketchup)
2 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

This sauce comes together quickly once you get started, so measure the dry ingredients (the flour, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt and optional cinnamon) into a small bowl and place it near the stove. Place the tomato paste and broth near the stove as well.

In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, warm the oil until it’s it’s hot enough that a light sprinkle of the flour/spice mixture sizzles on contact. This might take a couple of minutes, so be patient and don’t step away from the stove!

Once it’s ready, pour in the flour and spice mixture. While whisking constantly, cook until fragrant and slightly deepened in color, about 1 minute. Whisk the tomato paste into the mixture, then slowly pour in the broth while whisking constantly to remove any lumps.

Raise heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, whisking often, for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the sauce has thickened a bit and a spoon encounters some resistance as you stir it.

Remove from heat, then whisk in the vinegar and season to taste with a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. Add more salt, if necessary.

Honestly, super simple to make but be sure to have EVERYTHING out and ready to go before starting to put it together.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky