Beef clod - any thoughts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbs63

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Jefferson City, Missouri
I recently saw a YouTube video on making a beef clod (or shoulder) and it looked pretty darn awesome.

The few folks I have talked with in real life who have experience with the clod (two of them butchers) highly recommended against it.

I just did a brisket Friday/Saturday and was very pleased with it.  I could die a happy man if I did a brisket every weekend for the rest of my life (which wouldn't be long, based on the amount of beer ingested in doing the brisket).  So, I'm not trying to flee brisket, but would like to know anyone here has done a clod, what your thoughts are, and if you liked it - tips, or if you didn't like it, what you didn't like.

Thanks!
Tom

Clod roasts are flavorful and fairly tender.... Front shoulder meat and marbled.... A cheaper cut of meat... a lot better than meat from the hind quarter.... there are a few premium cuts on the clod... very tender and marbled... high priced steaks... Flat Iron steak comes from the clod...

Dave

Check this site: beefinnovationsgroup. Good site to show you how to break down primal cuts, like whole beef clods, and make value cuts from them. 

Reactions: daveomak
Check this site: beefinnovationsgroup. Good site to show you how to break down primal cuts, like whole beef clods, and make value cuts from them. 

Stan, morning..... Great website.... Thanks for finding that piece of information....

Dave

I smoked one for New Years.  I cut into smaller 3 - 4 lb pieces and treated like a pork butt.  Not nearly as much fat as pork so keeping moisture in it is important.   I prefer clods prepared as roast beef for Poboys.  I've only done 3 or 4 of them so they are still new to me but now when they go on sale I go out of the way to pick one up.

i did one last year in the smoker for first time, came out great, i've done them in the oven before come out good but the smoker gives them alot more flavor.they are a tender roast if you cook them long enough,don't recommend doing them rare.'my opinion"unlike round the longer you cook them the more tender. 

the chuck roll is a different muscle group, that would be what you get chuck roast from,it could be a very tender and flavorful piece of meat if done right,if not could be tough, usually a little fattier than clods. hope you don't mind me chiming in.

Hi I will see "IF" I can find a smaller clod at RD next time I go. If not just might have to try my luck with the bigger ones, maybe cut IT down to a more manageable size.Would I be better off with the Chuck Roll or the Shoulder Clod? Just looking for a replacementfor BrisketThanks Dan

I did three of them years ago for a wedding reception. Rubbed them down like you would a brisket, just put a little more rub on them, as I remember it took about 8 hours on a large stick burner pit

Hi I will see "IF" I can find a smaller clod at RD next time I go. If not just might have to try my luck with the bigger ones, maybe cut IT down to a more manageable size.
Would I be better off with the Chuck Roll or the Shoulder Clod? Just looking for a replacement for Brisket
Thanks Dan

if your looking for something that would shred for beef bbq. i would go with the chuck roll, if you want something to slice like brisket or roast beef i would say clod, if you can't find just the "clod heart" and the whole clod is to big you can cut the blade piece off and make flat iron steaks, or roast that some other day,or grind for burger,you can make the piece you want to smoke any size you want.if you know the butcher where your buying it i'm sure he would cut it up for free if you ask. hope this helps you

Hi Lots of things to with the clod.If I do get a Clod it will be from Restaurant Depot, that is why the ones I've seen were huge,20 lbs.The Flat Iron steaks would sure be a bonus.
drool.gif

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
20 pounds would be whole clod,other suggestions would be to cut some meat up for stew,stir fry, jerky, lot's of things to use it for good luck,let me know if you have any questions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky