Beef Belly Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice! you are killing me, I want to get into the curing game but that means a slicer, then a grinding and stuffing appliance. Just don't have the time to get into it...but really want too....
While time consuming, bacon can be thinly sliced using nothing but a good sharp knife ...... no additional equipment required. You will need additional stuff to make sausage though, although that has been done with nothing more than a knife, too.

WOW, Jake!! I've been waiting to see the end results and they are definitely worth the wait. Fantastic looking bacon...

That is some killer looking bacon Jake!
I see a slicing knife in the last photo, did you hand slice the bacon?
If so you have serious knife skills!
Al

Reactions: TNJAKE
Nicely done Jake. It looks great!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Nice! you are killing me, I want to get into the curing game but that means a slicer, then a grinding and stuffing appliance. Just don't have the time to get into it...but really want too....
Thanks bud. Curing is easy. Especially whole muscle meat. No fancy equipment needed. Take the plunge and worry about sausage later

That is some killer looking bacon Jake!
I see a slicing knife in the last photo, did you hand slice the bacon?
If so you have serious knife skills!
Al
Thanks Al. The knife was only used once when I squared up the slabs. Meat slicer got a workout though
IMG_20221101_073734.jpg

Howdy fellas and non fellas. Finished up my beef bacon today. Turned out great so wanted to post.

Started off with a almost 11lb slab of Certified piedmontese beef belly.View attachment 647534View attachment 647535
Cured it with....
.25% cure #1
1.5% sea salt
.75% brown sugar

Lightly vac sealed to the cure can move around but most oxygen in gone. Into the fridge for 14 days View attachment 647536
After 14 days placed uncovered on racks to form a pellicle for a couple daysView attachment 647537
After pellicle I cold smoked with hickory 6hrs a day for 2 days. Total smoke 12 hours. Here's a few action shots.........View attachment 647538View attachment 647539View attachment 647540
Then into the fridge for 4 days uncovered to let the flavors equalize and dry a bit moreView attachment 647541

Fished slicing a little bit ago. 11in bacon about the thickness of wrights baconView attachment 647542View attachment 647543
Sliced up some bacon ends and saved a couple stumps for seasoning pieces View attachment 647544
Got it all vac sealed. Nice haul of beef bacon. Emily fried up a couple pieces. Forgot a pic but acted exactly like pork bacon. Very delicious! Thanks for stopping by
Holy Sh%t . you got my pre-sized brain percolating. I buy pork bellies whenever the stock looks good, and we keep about 4lbs, sliced and sealed in case of apocalypse. I doubt i can find beef belly down here in N cuba, but will start looking. How is the taste compared to porK?

Awesome looking bacon Jake! Probably a good thing we don't have air fresheners like what your kitchen smelled like...we would always be hungry!

Ryan

Holy Sh%t . you got my pre-sized brain percolating. I buy pork bellies whenever the stock looks good, and we keep about 4lbs, sliced and sealed in case of apocalypse. I doubt i can find beef belly down here in N cuba, but will start looking. How is the taste compared to porK?
Appreciate it bud. Home place pasture has beef belly for just under $5/lb. Seems like a great price to me. They deliver. Since it's cured like pork the taste is very similar. I'd say meatier texture and flavor. If all I ate from here on out was beef bacon I wouldn't be upset. Make sure not to slice it too thick

Reactions: JLeonard
Oh man! That is some good looking bacon. I'm thinking a BBLT (Beef BACON Lettuce Tomato) or three would be on my menu!
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky