Beef back ribs hot&fast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 2, 2014
Rhode Island
I've used the hot and fast method for briskets,butts and pork ribs without issue but not beef ribs.Actually I've never done beef ribs ever.

My plan is to set the Auber on my MES to 265-275 and basically put the ribs in and go,no wrap.

My two questions are at those temps what would be an approximation in time and to what IT should I be shooting for?I'm looking to eat at between 5 and 6 on Sunday.

Reactions: JLeonard
I've used the hot and fast method for briskets,butts and pork ribs without issue but not beef ribs.Actually I've never done beef ribs ever.

My plan is to set the Auber on my MES to 265-275 and basically put the ribs in and go,no wrap.

My two questions are at those temps what would be an approximation in time and to what IT should I be shooting for?I'm looking to eat at between 5 and 6 on Sunday.
no help for you, but selfishly watching this thread. Hopefully someone like SmokinAl SmokinAl or tx smoker tx smoker will chime in.

Reactions: normanaj
From my perspective, you are correct in not wrapping beef ribs. If you do, you just wind up with pot roast. Time is dependent on what type of ribs you have. If they are the beef chuck short ribs (the real deal Dino ribs) then you'll be looking at 6 hours plus or minus a few minutes. At 250 they take about 8 hours. If you're cooking the shiners (much thinner with much less meat) you're probably in the 5-5 hour range. I've never done the shiners so really can't tell you the time. That's just a guess. Either way you'll want to be in the 200 to 210 degree IT range to get tender. Best bet is the toothpick method to determine whether or not they are done.

Robert

From my perspective, you are correct in not wrapping beef ribs. If you do, you just wind up with pot roast. Time is dependent on what type of ribs you have. If they are the beef chuck short ribs (the real deal Dino ribs) then you'll be looking at 6 hours plus or minus a few minutes. At 250 they take about 8 hours. If you're cooking the shiners (much thinner with much less meat) you're probably in the 5-5 hour range. I've never done the shiners so really can't tell you the time. That's just a guess. Either way you'll want to be in the 200 to 210 degree IT range to get tender. Best bet is the toothpick method to determine whether or not they are done.

Robert
Thanks Robert.Some good info there.Probe tender always has the final say.

By how you describe "shiners" these would appear to be that as they are thin with not a ton of meat.The price was right so I went for it and my thinking was if I screw them up at the worst the meat will end up in some form of chili,plus its always cool to try something new.

Last edited:
When I do beef back ribs , I season them up and cook 'em directly over charcoal . Just like a steak , but probe for tender . Rest , then cut into singles .
Your plan sounds solid , just watch that temp on the MES . Even with the Auber . I had mine trip the limit switch when I set it to 275 .

Beef ribs are fantastic but depending on exactly what you have the cooking methods can be very different. I'd suggest posting a picture because some beef short ribs are 1/4" to 3/8th" thick cut across the bone (they have lots of small sections of bone in them) and some short ribs are a piece of bone about 4"-5" long with a hunk of meat on them and other short ribs are in the form of a rack of ribs, (some of these are huge and others about 10"x10") intact kinda like pork ribs. Each has a different time and temp they will tolerate from as little as 30 minutes to as long as 8 hours.

Your plan sounds solid , just watch that temp on the MES . Even with the Auber . I had mine trip the limit switch when I set it to 275 .

I was thinking of that also,leaning more towards the 265.I'm home all day anyways so I figured it was good day to try a first.

Reactions: chopsaw
This actually worked out awesome.At 365 they took 3 1/2 hours to get probe tender,let'em rest in a foil covered foil pan in the smoker at 160 until until supper time.Nothing but spog and they were DELICIOUS!Steamed broccoli and wings on the side.The wings were just plain grilled.

Took pics with the phone but for some reason and this isn't the first time,all my photos are grey.The phone is almost 6 years old so maybe time for an upgrade.

Edit: I uploaded the pics to the computer so we have pics!

Attachments

• 20230507_150051.jpg
    20230507_150051.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230507_181523.jpg
    20230507_181523.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230507_183802.jpg
    20230507_183802.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230507_183815.jpg
    20230507_183815.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230507_183808.jpg
    20230507_183808.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230507_181528.jpg
    20230507_181528.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 15
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky