Beating the Tariffs on Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ifitsdeadsmokeit

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 9, 2010
Hollister Missouri
With the wife quitting her job soon and with the love of Canadian bacon in my house, I had to make another batch and save some $$$ in the process in addition to avoiding the dastardly tariffs in place (disclaimer: dunno if this is even an imported product or even care). I was out and the daughter was wanting some...so who am I to say no. Had to create some room in the fridge first by killing my kegs of grolsch and rootbeer homebrews....

Bought a couple of big pork loins from Costco...wife was wondering what was for dinner, so I lost half of one to some boneless pork chops...

Mixed together a sweet maple wet brine...

Let cure in the beer fridge at 38° F for 14 days (ten would have been sufficient, but soccer schedules dictate my life).

Smoked at 230° F until hit 150°. Used apple.
Broke out the slicer and ended up with 11 lbs worth. Separated into 1 lb packages and vacuum sealed. Put into the freezer next to the bacon and pepperoni snack sticks...stocked for a while.

Nice looking CB.

FYI: is not called CB because it's imported from Canada. It's like "italian sausage" - a recipe/method not country of origin.

In fact in Canada is not even called CB, but back bacon or peameal bacon.

Having said that i would gladly import some of your CB, tariffs or not.

Now there's a heap of good ole Canadian bacon. It sure looks good.

Point for sure.
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky