"BEAR" Ribs with lots of Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Not really "Bear" ribs.
Actually Pork Spare Ribs & a couple of Dinos, made by "Bear":
Needed something to smoke so I could test drive my replacement MES digital control.
First thought Pork Spare ribs.
Second thought Beef Dinos.
No, Pork!
No, Beef!
Aw the heck with it, let's do both!
So my captions below will explain most of my smoke:
Pretty good buy from Weis. Giant had the Pork Spares for $1.99, but the longer drive would have made it about the same:
a023ed87_DSC01447.jpg

All cleaned up, ready to do the St Louis cut. Pay attention to the little hunk of meat at the far right of the Pork Spares:
28c00233_DSC01451.jpg

All trimmed up. Cut spares to fit in MES 30 after trimming. Then wrapped skirt (top right) around that hunk of meat I mentioned in second picture (top left), and skewered it.

99160b8f_DSC01454.jpg

Mustard under Cook Shack Rib Rub, ready for overnight in fridge:
2d55efa6_DSC01456.jpg

Loaded "A-MAZE-N-Smoker" with Apple dust & lit both ends for maximum smoke:
bbf523bf_DSC01459.jpg

After 3-2-1 at 225˚, spraying with 75% Apple Juice/25% Jack Daniel's Sauce. Also added a coupe ounces of same to foiled package in step two. Put water in water pan too:

b5ddf2e1_DSC01461.jpg

Pork Spares & the wrap cut in half to expose:
bfb14120_DSC01463.jpg

Beef Dinos and some of the pork trimmings:
683591e2_DSC01464.jpg

My supper after taking pictures (I love them little taters too):
a049bda9_DSC01467.jpg

My next day's breakfast. Little slices of that wrap, a few eggs, and some more of my favorite little taters:

01d9a253_DSC01471.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Bearcarver

Man! Those look good. !!   great looking spread there Bear.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

You said you mixed apple juice and Jack Daniel's sauce?  Is it the BBQ sauce or the liquor? 

Man! Those look good. !!   great looking spread there Bear.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

You said you mixed apple juice and Jack Daniel's sauce?  Is it the BBQ sauce or the liquor? 
Obviously the sauce. If it was the JD liquor, I'd still be at the table!
icon_lol.gif

Thanks,

Bear

icon_cool.gif

You're sure eaten good there my friend. Everything looks awesome and I know that they all tasted amazing too.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot everybody!

This stuff really is great!

Did anyone try clicking on any of the money shots? That gives you a closeup of the pics, and you can see how juicy and pink inside these were.

Enjoy,

Bear

Hey Bear that was some great qview & thanks for pointing out the close up how to. I never knew that. It's awesome!!
Hey Terry,

I'm not sure what is my computer & what is this platform. Can you check for me?

When you open one of the pictures, by clicking on it, is there a "Prev/Next" at the bottom right on that picture? If it is, you only have to open one picture. Then you can choose Prev or Next, and slideshow your way through the other pics.

NEAT !

Thanks,

Bear

Looks great Bear...

The ribs are beautiful...

I like how you made that Low Cholesterol Breakfast...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Last edited:
Looks great. I never have seen the A-MAZE-N-Smoker before. I googled it and it seems that it's mainly used for cold smoking but you use it all the time huh? 

Looks great. I never have seen the A-MAZE-N-Smoker before. I googled it and it seems that it's mainly used for cold smoking but you use it all the time huh? 
They work better with cold smoke, and are more needed to generate smoke during a cold smoke, but many of us like to use them during a warm smoke and a hot smoke, because they are more consistent and more "set it & forget it" than most smokers are at smoking. IMHO.

Bear

Looks great Bear...

The ribs are beautiful...

I like how you made that Low Cholesterol Breakfast...
icon_mrgreen.gif
Thanks for the nice comments Paul,

Cholesterol?

Some poor pig gave his life for those meals.

Three poor little unborn chicks gave their lives too.

And don't forget, some poor potatoes gave their eyes too!

Poor little critters,
icon_cry.gif

Bear

Yep, it works that way for me, too.

Very nice smoke. I'm not familiar with what you called a "wrap". What are those?

Thanks

I'm not sure what is my computer & what is this platform. Can you check for me?

When you open one of the pictures, by clicking on it, is there a "Prev/Next" at the bottom right on that picture? If it is, you only have to open one picture. Then you can choose Prev or Next, and slideshow your way through the other pics.

Yep, it works that way for me, too.

Very nice smoke. I'm not familiar with what you called a "wrap". What are those?

Thanks

That was just something I tried that worked pretty good:

If you look at 2nd & third pics, and read the captions, you'll see I took that hunk of meat at the one end of the Spares, put rub on it, and wrapped the skirt I trimmed off around it, and put a skewer through it.

Then I treated it just like all the other pieces (3-2-1) all the way through the smoke. 

You can see it in the other finished pics after that too.

It was real good!

That skirt is usually done early & eaten as a snack while cooking the rest, but I wanted to try something different.

Bear

Great looking ribs, I'm jealous of the dinos you smoked. I cant get dinos like that anywhere so far. That's a breakfast right there! 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky