Bear’s Simple Deer Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Bear’s Simple Deer Chili

I don’t do much fancy work with our occasional Chili, because I can’t make it too spicy or Mrs Bear won’t eat it.

So I use about 1.5 lbs of Deerburger (50% Venison, 25% Pork, 25% Beef).
First I brown the meat pretty good, and spoon out the excess fat.
To that I add:
2 cans of Red Kidney Beans
1 small can of Tomato Sauce
1 can of Diced Tomatoes
1 Packet of McCormick’s Chili Seasoning

Then I bring it to a Low Boil, and let it simmer for about a half hour or more.
Personally I like it better the next day.

Bear’s “Add-ins”: I like to add a bunch of Frank’s Hot Sauce to mine, but only after it’s on my plate, so Mrs Bear doesn’t get any. I also often shake a bunch of Parmesan Cheese on mine & mix it in.

Note: Sometimes I'll add some Red Pepper Flakes, or even some Hot Banana Pepper Rings, but only Frank's for heat this time.

Tip: I like my Chili pretty hot in Temperature, but not crazy scalding, so if I’m real hungry & planning on eating it relatively fast, I put it on a plate, so it can cool to edible, and if I’m planning on taking my time & enjoying my Chili, I put it in a bowl that will let it stay hot for awhile, while I’m eating it.

A little Butter bread on the side & I’m ready!!!

Thanks for visiting,

Bear

All Done & Simmering:
IMG_6186.jpeg

Plated with a bunch of Frank's Hot Sauce & some Grated Parmesan Cheese to stir in. This will cool fast on the plate, so I can gobble it down:
IMG_6195.jpeg

When I want to take my time & enjoy it, I put it in one of my Thick Soup Bowls:
IMG_6187.jpeg

Looks good . I bet the parm is good on there . I could eat chili any time .
Nice work .

Ahhh Chili Looks good. I love Chili

Gary

I do almost the same except I use black beans instead of kidney beans, and when I use venison for the ground meat it's usually 100% venison. I don't see any need to cut ground venison with pork or beef if it's going to be browned for chili or sloppy joe's. I will use the pork/beef blends for meatballs, meatloaf, stuffed peppers, etc. I always add a little extra chili powder and some extra cayenne to the McCormicks mix, too. I like the McCormicks because you can do it quick in the skillet or set it up in the slow cooker and let run on low all day if you like. If I can find it in the store I like to use the the diced tomatoes that have the green chilis, too. Sometimes for a little sweetness my wife likes me to add a can of drained whole kernel corn, too.

I do almost the same except I use black beans instead of kidney beans, and when I use venison for the ground meat it's usually 100% venison. I don't see any need to cut ground venison with pork or beef if it's going to be browned for chili or sloppy joe's. I will use the pork/beef blends for meatballs, meatloaf, stuffed peppers, etc. I always add a little extra chili powder and some extra cayenne to the McCormicks mix, too. I like the McCormicks because you can do it quick in the skillet or set it up in the slow cooker and let run on low all day if you like. If I can find it in the store I like to use the the diced tomatoes that have the green chilis, too. Sometimes for a little sweetness my wife likes me to add a can of drained whole kernel corn, too.

Thank You KBDog!!

Bear

Looks like an excellent meal for the cooler weather. Nicely done John

Point for sure
Chris

Looks good! I have soup bowls like that also that I eat out of.
Jim

Thank You Jim!!
These bowls keep things hot a long time.
I had a set of 2 from Dunkin Donuts, but I think they found their way to Bear Jr's house.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky