BDSkelly ~ Another Breakfast Sausage Grind.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
DFW North Texas
Mrs BD made a comment last weekend that we were OUT of breakfast sausage! Gasp! Say it ain't so!

Today we went to the Super Duper Big Box Discount  Low Prices Warehouse Buy More Than You Could Possibly Ever Use Club.

I walked out with 15 pounds of boneless pork shoulder. She got 1 years supply of toothpaste and toilet paper. ..And a few items for the grandkids Christmas. 

First things first. Ever since the weather cooled Mrs BD wanted to make green chili. So when we got home she quickly  confiscated 4 pounds and tossed it in the crock pot with Green Chilies, Tomatoes, Tomatillos Chicken Broth and other goodies. 

While that chili was simmering and filling the house with lots of... Oh man that smells good.  I got to work at this sausage predicament. 

First I make the seasoning. I use 1 tablespoon of this per pound of meat. 

Mix all of this in a zip lock bag and toss it around for a bit. Simple recipe. A derivative of Pops. 
  •  1/2 cup salt
  •  1/2 cup  course black pepper
  •  1/2 cup sage
  • 3 TBLS red pepper Flakes

11 pounds of pork shoulder cut into about 1 inch cubes.

I add 1 tablespoon of season per pound to the cubed meat. Toss it around. Mix very well. Place the seasoned chunk of meet into the freezer for 1 hour. 

Time to Grind. Using the small plate here.  And only passing the meat through once. 

I use a glass for a cookie cutter and make nice BIG patties.  These go back into the freezer to firm up a bit before vac sealing. 

I just love this machine!

Problem Fixed!

Thanks folks!

B

Last edited:
Got a kick out of this one, BD! I also am a member of a SDBBDLPWBMTYCPEU Club. I usually walk out with the usual pork belly and ground meat as fast as I can. Can't deal with all those people walking around chewing...
I use a Del Monte vegetable can for a sausage cutter.

Looks great,if you ship I'm willing to sample! Patties are the way to go for sure!!

Yummy. I need to stuff some. I am out. 1 tablespoon per lb.

Thanks for the recipe

Got a kick out of this one, BD! I also am a member of a SDBBDLPWBMTYCPEU Club. I usually walk out with the usual pork belly and ground meat as fast as I can. Can't deal with all those people walking around chewing...
I use a Del Monte vegetable can for a sausage cutter.
Yup. I used a can. But Mrs BD tossed it out since the last grind! 
Looks great,if you ship I'm willing to sample! Patties are the way to go for sure!!
LOL  You bet B
Yummy. I need to stuff some. I am out. 1 tablespoon per lb.

Thanks for the recipe
Good catch Adam.  Sometimes my brain works faster than my typing fingers.  Edited for clarification. 

Gracias b

Looks great BD! I realized the same thing the other day, was going to give a buddy some breakfast sausage to take hunting, but there wasn't any!!! Just saw boneless butts are on sale. So this long holiday weekend I'll be bringing out the grinder!

Green chili sounds great. I'm long over due on making that too. It's one of my Cream Can cooks that's a favorite.

Looks great BD! I realized the same thing the other day, was going to give a buddy some breakfast sausage to take hunting, but there wasn't any!!! Just saw boneless butts are on sale. So this long holiday weekend I'll be bringing out the grinder!

Green chili sounds great. I'm long over due on making that too. It's one of my Cream Can cooks that's a favorite.
Yes sir. Tamales are a big holiday treat down here. And the butts go on sale along with the 32qt tamale pots!  So going away brother... 

I enjoy watching you make happy happy happy magic with that cream can. It would be perfect for Green Chili.  I wonder if a cream can will work on a induction cook top?  Want one. But first need to use the sauerkraut crock YOU talked me into buying!

B

Its just nice to know that its not full or crappy fillers and tons of salt. Not to mention its so much better than almost anything you can buy.
Yes sir. Just the texture alone is so much better than the mush in the plastic tube. 

Yes sir. Tamales are a big holiday treat down here. And the butts go on sale along with the 32qt tamale pots!  So going away brother... 

I enjoy watching you make happy happy happy magic with that cream can. It would be perfect for Green Chili.  I wonder if a cream can will work on a induction cook top?  Want one. But first need to use the sauerkraut crock YOU talked me into buying!
B

I'd have to think that the Can would be fine on the induction top since it's just like a big pot. Once you get steam you turn the heat down low for the rest of the cook.

Nice job on the sausage Brian!

I just ran out of breakfast sausage too!

I also make it into patties with a bean can.

Spray the inside with a little Pam & the patties slide right out, I like to make them kinda thick.

Point!

Al

Nice job on the sausage Brian!

I just ran out of breakfast sausage too!

I also make it into patties with a bean can.

Spray the inside with a little Pam & the patties slide right out, I like to make them kinda thick.

Point!

Al
Thank you Al. And thank for the tip on the pam on the cutter.  I spray those cookie sheets with Pam when I put those patties back in the freezer to firm up. Makes for easy removal.  

And YES I agree on a larger patty.  When we still had kids in the house we called em Daddy Patties! b

Great looking sausage, Brian. I like the addition of the crushed chilies. I'd never get away with that but I may try and sneak some more heat in.

Disco

Great looking sausage, Brian. I like the addition of the crushed chilies. I'd never get away with that but I may try and sneak some more heat in.

Disco
Hello my friend .  Thanks so much for the kind words.  Some like it hot.  Some not.  LOL  Great to hear from you Disco! b

Looks good. Just mixed the season. Will have to pick up some pork shoulders and give it a try. I saw another post you had some month back using the can as a cutter. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Looks good. Just mixed the season. Will have to pick up some pork shoulders and give it a try. I saw another post you had some month back using the can as a cutter. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.
My pleasure. Yup. I kept an old pumpkin can just for making patties.  Mrs. BD tossed it.  BUT I got a new one yesterday when she made a pie for Thanksgiving!  

Christmas Tamale making season is here.  And that means Butts are always on sale in this area! Good luck! b

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky