BBQ Fundraiser.....need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

theelballew

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 27, 2014
Lexington, SC
My wife and I own a business here in our town. We are sponsoring a BBQ fundraiser this year. This will be my first big BBQ fundraiser and I'm looking for advice.

I'm thinking......

250 lbs of Boston Butts
Beans
Slaw
BBQ hash and rice (it's a South Carolina thing)
I can ratio the slaw, beans and hash....

How many plates do you guys think that 250 lbs of butt will make? I want to make a difference for the vets in my community, so I really want this to go good. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BBQ for the Brave.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome.....That would be a fantastic number of plates to sale! Anything leftover I can take to the shelter.

You may want to do a test run on a butt or two and see how much weight reduces.
Also you can see what 4 oz of meat looks like compared to 8oz or 12 oz (1/4, 1/2, 3/4 pound servings).

Just for perspective many fast food burger joints claim a 1/4 pound burger patty and I think places like Chili's claim a 1/2 pound patty. This is almost surely weight before cooking but in any case that will give you an educated guess as to what 1/4 vs 1/2 "kinda" looks like. It would be wise to see what it looks like in reality with a test run.

This will then give you an idea as to how much meat will work to serve the vets.
Here in TX you better have a hearty enough serving of BBQ or else things will be frowned upon :)

Best of luck!

Reactions: theelballew
I'm going to do a test run for the people who run the charity. That way the know the quality of the product. I also need to smoke off some butts so I can have enough hash to cook down.

Hey guys, just wanted to reach out and say thank you to a certain member here. We received our first online donation yesterday. This is the only place where I have advertised the fundraiser so far. I don't want to give out names, but I just wanted him to know that his donation is greatly appreciated.

He also inspired us to make an addition to our website and now there is an option to buy a plate (pre-sale). If I get any pre-sales that are out of the area, then I will print out a ticket and deliver them to the homeless vets shelter which we are donating the proceeds.

This project is just now getting off the ground and I'm already being amazed at the great response. It just goes to show how we are one people.

Thank you again.

Last edited:
Hey guys....I'm still thinking on this topic.....I'm looking at doing a dry run on my bbq so I can get a good idea on portion size.

Standard Plate - $10.00
4 oz. pulled pork
3 oz smoked beans
3 oz slaw
3 oz bbq hash
rice

Take and Lake Package - $60
2 lbs pulled pork
1 quart beans
1 quart slaw
1 quart hash
1 quart rice

Does this come close to making sense to anyone?

Thanks again.....any help is greatly appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky