BBQ "Fried" Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Here’s the problem. I love fried chicken. I hate the mess that fat frying makes. She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn’t want me to eat fried food. It seems my choices are limited.

I have tried oven versions before but they never seemed to have the really crisp skin I was looking for. I went to work and have developed a “fried” chicken that I can do in my pellet smoker as it will heat up to more than 400 F which is needed for this recipe.

The first step is to brine the chicken. I am not big on brining chicken. This recipe is an exception. I will be cooking the chicken with high temperatures to get a very crisp skin and that could tend to dry the meat so I wanted to brine the chicken.

I suggest you use chicken thighs. They are smaller, cook faster, stay moister and have a great flavour compared to breasts.

Make up a brine by mixing:
  • 750 ml (3 cups) water
  • 25 ml (2 tablespoons) Sriracha (you can substitute 15 ml hot pepper sauce).
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) sugar
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) salt
Put 500 grams (1 pound) of chicken thighs in the brine and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.

BBQ Fried Chicken 01.jpg

Mix the following together for a dredge in a shallow casserole or large plate:
  • 175 ml (3/4 cup) flour
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) your favourite barbecue rub
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) garlic powder
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) onion powder
Take the thighs from the brine and put them on a plate. Don’t dry them or try and shake the excess liquid off. You want them damp.

BBQ Fried Chicken 02.jpg

One at a time, put a piece of chicken in the dredge with one hand. With the other hand, shovel the dredge over the thigh. Lift it out and put it on a rack. Repeat with each piece of chicken.

BBQ Fried Chicken 03.jpg

Preheat your smoker to 400 F. Put the chicken in the smoker, skin side up.

Cook for 30 to 40 minutes. You are looking for the flour to be set and starting to brown.

Brush the chicken with 25 ml (2 tablespoons) vegetable oil. Do NOT turn the chicken.

BBQ Fried Chicken 04.jpg

Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the internal temperature is 180 F and the chicken is crisp and brown.

BBQ Fried Chicken 06.jpg

BBQ Fried Chicken 07.jpg

Let it sit for 5 minutes and serve.

The Verdict

This turned out just the way I wanted. It has a nicely seasoned crisp skin. The chicken is moist and tender like fried chicken. I love it!

Disco

Last edited:
I'm going to have to remember to try this post winter on charcoal; see if I can get it hot enough.

The only down side to this is no drippings for making some gravy Disco! <I'm a sucker for gravy though!>

Looks really good Disco, I've done Kettle fried chicken and Kettle chicken fried steak before. Like you I'm trying to get away from cooking w/oil.

Point for sure.
Chris

Nice job Disco!
The chicken looks delicious!
If you haven't tried one yet, you may want to look into an AirFryer.
They are unbelievable, but of course no smoke flavor!
Al

Nice job David!

I too am a fried chicken junkie, but I also hate the cleanup and the disapproving glances from she who’ll be paying for my funeral. I’ll have to give this one a try!

Those Thighs Look Perfect, Disco!!
Great Step by Step Too---I love Them!!
Nice Job, Buddy!
Like.

Bear

I'm going to have to remember to try this post winter on charcoal; see if I can get it hot enough.

The only down side to this is no drippings for making some gravy Disco! <I'm a sucker for gravy though!>

Har! The sacrifices we make! I can get my WSM Mini up there. Just do a whole chimney of charcoal and open those dampers!

Looks really good Disco, I've done Kettle fried chicken and Kettle chicken fried steak before. Like you I'm trying to get away from cooking w/oil.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks for the kind words and point, Chris!

Disco that looks great as always.Big Likes
Richie

Thanks for the point Richie!

D, Wow,great post and some awesome looking chicken !

Thanks, CM!

Nice job Disco!
The chicken looks delicious!
If you haven't tried one yet, you may want to look into an AirFryer.
They are unbelievable, but of course no smoke flavor!
Al

I have a couple of things on my wish list, SV, Air Fryer. However, "Mrs Santa" has told me I can't get any new toys unless I get rid of some old ones!

That looks perfect . Great job on that .

I appreciate that!

Nice job David!

I too am a fried chicken junkie, but I also hate the cleanup and the disapproving glances from she who’ll be paying for my funeral. I’ll have to give this one a try!

Thanks! I don't mind the glances, it is the smiting I am trying to avoid.

Oh my, this is definitely on the to-do list!

Thanks! I hope you like it!

Those Thighs Look Perfect, Disco!!
Great Step by Step Too---I love Them!!
Nice Job, Buddy!
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear! I appreciate the like!

Hrm... see, now he tells me the charcoal method does work...

Definitely on the list, if winter keeps along at this pace, it's more wet then cold so grilling out is still on the table most nights!

Hrm... see, now he tells me the charcoal method does work...

Definitely on the list, if winter keeps along at this pace, it's more wet then cold so grilling out is still on the table most nights!
Sorry. I bow my head in shame!

That is a normal smoking day here in the Canadian Rockies!
We haven't had a winter like that where I live in a while. Last time we did, we got a blizzard. Hit when I was on the highway. Talk about a very interesting drive. <A county plow truck wiped out in front of me. At that point I told my friend who I had driven 2 hours to pick up from the Veteran's Hospital to get home to see his mother..we might actually not make it. Mustang+blizzard...!>

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky