BBQ Chicken Pizza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
My wife and I felt like pizza for dinner last night and we had some thighs in the fridge we needed to either cook or freeze, so we decided to combine the two.

Smoked the thighs with a bbq chicken rub, mostly at 225 with apple. Went up to 250 as they were taking longer than I expected. I grill thighs all the time but rarely smoke them.

My wife made the pizza dough from scratch and has really gotten her recipe dialed in. The crust is perfect every time, and brushed with parmesan garlic butter for a great taste. Took one of the thighs I smoked and cut it up for pizza toppings. She also added some pickled onions she made a while back. This pizza was a big keeper, and everything but the bbq sauce and cheese was made by us.

Thighs just about finished.
IMG_0264.jpeg

The finished pizza, conspicuously missing one slice -- my wife was faster than me getting her first slice before I took a picture!
IMG_0266.jpeg

Looks killer! Takes me back, haven't had that in ages. For those of you who have not had it, it's crazy good. Was made popular by the California Pizza Kitchen chain. Tons of recipes online. It's also sold frozen in stores.

I'm liking that. It looks really good. We are seeing a huge variety recently of people doing creative stuff with pizzas. Very well done!!

Robert

Reactions: mcokevin
Nice work bud . Great lookin pizza .
Boneless skinless thighs ?
Thanks! A bit of hodge podge.. mostly boneless/skinless, but a few bone-in there too as well. There weren't quite enough boneless skinless to justify running the 1050, so I pulled some bone-in out of the freezer and threw them on too.

That looks great! I'd be interested in the dough recipe if it's available....
Thanks - and no problem. The dough is no great secret. My wife uses the recipe on this blog. She hasn't changed the recipe at all but has enough practice with it that she can nail it every time.

Looks killer! Takes me back, haven't had that in ages. For those of you who have not had it, it's crazy good. Was made popular by the California Pizza Kitchen chain. Tons of recipes online. It's also sold frozen in stores.
Thanks! This recipe was really simple. The dough linked above, bbq sauce as a base instead of pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, smoked bbq chicken however you want to do it, and pickled onions.

Wow! I love a good BBQ pizza! I haven’t had one since leaving West Coast. Yours looks awesome! Not a criticism in any way, try some fresh basil on it next time and it’ll bring another awesome flavor . Great work!

Reactions: mcokevin
Wow! I love a good BBQ pizza! I haven’t had one since leaving West Coast. Yours looks awesome! Not a criticism in any way, try some fresh basil on it next time and it’ll bring another awesome flavor . Great work!
Good idea, will have to give it a shot. We didn't have anything like t hat in the fridge, and this was a "we need to cook this chicken but also want pizza" meal that was a little improvised! lol.

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky