BBQ and Old Friends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
On likely our last dry day of the year, I invited three old friends over for a socially distant dinner on the patio. The menu included babyback, ham, chicken, and a last minute test of brats on the smoker.

There is nothing that causes you to learn and fix mistakes faster than when you have company coming over for dinner! Nothing on the menu would win a prize, but it was tasty and the first time we have been together since March. One of my guests announced he is moving to Texas, so it may have been the last time these old friends get together.

So, I think that putting all the trials aside, and knowing I can get better, the best part of smoking is getting old friends together.

I am exhausted.

FC882ED7-BFF8-4826-A251-07E36E862C00.jpeg

Nice piece of work! We haven't had any company since the beginning of March either. We were hoping family for Xmas, now it's blowing back up, tho it never left, things look doubtful. RAY

great looking meal you have there! An awesome thing getting together with old friends! Sounds like an invite to Texas to me

Ryan

Good spread there! Always great to get together with friends. We only see one pair of friends who also are in our orbit of distancing and safety.

Thank for the nice comments!

I learned a lot. More went right than wrong. Everything was ready and warm, and on the table at the same time. I had everyone distanced and safe. I did the serving with my mask on.

I nailed the sauce, and the second try on the smoked beans was the best I’ve had. The chicken needs work to get to the correct doneness without getting tough skin. It tastes great though. The ribs were great. The rub and sauce work well together. They were just slightly over done, but not by much. For a first try on everything, I’m pretty happy.

I’m working on the sides and dishes that can be made a day ahea, easing the cooking on the day of. Sauces, rubs, and beans work really well in advance. I like giving things a day for the flavors to meld.

I’ve learned a lot from this forum. There is no way I could have done this without the knowledge shared here. Thanks!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky