Basting Baby Backs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LexB89

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 26, 2020
Hi guy's,

If I was going to baste baby back ribs what should I use to baste with?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Reactions: JLeonard
Every body on this forum will have a different answer. Do you like ketchupy sweet sauce. mustard sauce, or vinegar sauce?

I like to use an apple cider reduction. Just boil the cider down until it's almost a syrup. Add a pad or two of butter and a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon. This also works really well with pork tenderloins.

Chris

Last edited:
I like to use an apple cider reduction. Just boil the cider down until it's almost a syrup. Add a pad or two of butter and a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon. This also works really well with pork tenderloins.

Chris
I can't get this out of my mind.It sounds so good. I'm going to make it just to taste it.. Thanks - So many recipes, so little time

Lordy--another one I HAVE to try (and it sounds dumb--BUT coming from you, I know I will be the WRONG one!) Uh...UH....How much honey in how much water ratio?
I simply use what I have which is a lot of raw honey it's not a syrup and needs to be spooned out, about 1/4 cup water to two T honey it tastes like apple juice. I should say I do add butter at times

I use a mix of apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, & bbq sauce. I usually keep it on the firebox or the top of the smoker to keep it hot. And mop the ribs when they start to look dry, about every 45 minutes. I sort of just drop the mop down on the ribs, so I don’t knock all the rub off.
Al

Not much of a baster, but all of the suggestions here are legit. Apple and pork are like a perfect marriage.

With that said, I like vinegar based, not water or tomato. Here in NC, barbecue means only one thing...
LOVE that vinegar base--------------------drink it out of the container

Chris
what do you add to the vinegar to make it a syrup? Brown sugar, white sugar>>>?

what do you add to the vinegar to make it a syrup? Brown sugar, white sugar>>>?

Apple cider doesn't have vinegar in it. I'm just boiling most(not all) of the water out. Apple cider is just raw apple juice - non filtered.

Chris

I'm liking the honey idea.

Hot water I assume?

I tried baisting with honey, butter and water mixture.

Worked a treat!
20201231_162659.jpg

Reactions: olaf
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky