• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Basil Chicken Sausage

mickey jay

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 29, 2012
Lots of chicken sausages on the forum lately; I figured I'd throw this one in the ring.  This was a bit of an experiment, and I wasn't sure I even liked it initially, but now that some of the flavors have had time to mellow/mesh, I'm really liking it.  I'd also never done chicken sausage before, but wanted to try it out because the amount of money the store wants for any chicken sausage is crazy compared to chicken thighs at Costco.  Additionally, I wanted to use fresh basil, but my plants started to turn funky just a couple days before I started this up, so I just used some dry basil instead.

I'll say it turned out pretty good although I might try white wine next time and probably half the basil.

5lbs Boned-out Chicken thighs w/Skin

4 tsp Kosher Salt

2.5 tsp Course Ground Black Pepper

1 tsp Cayenne

2 tbsp Dry Basil

1 tsp Ginger

1 tsp Sage

1 tsp Thyme

1/4 c Red Wine (I think I used Pinot Noir)

1 c NFDM

Last edited:

smoke damaged

Joined Aug 26, 2016
Wow. Those look excellent! May i ask, how was the texture/fat content? Im off next week so hopefully deer hunting is successful so i can tackle those.

mickey jay

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 29, 2012
Thanks!  I forgot to include the NFDM I used as well so I've edited the post.

The texture is light, much less dense than I'm used to with brats or kielbasas; almost squishy, even when cooked, but not in a bad way.  Just a little different is all.  The fat content I'd say is dead on; It doesn't need any more, and could probably take less.  Chicken fat is different than pork in that blends much better into the ground meat, so it's hard to see that it's even in there, but for as moist as these are, and with the addition of the NFDM, I'd say it's just right.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Nice job!

The sausage looks delicious!

Al

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
MJ, Great looking sausage, I like your recipe ! 

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
MJ That looks great,nice job on the links. I also like the NFDM in the recipe

Richie

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 3, 2013
Those look awesome! I'll put this on my list of recipes to try!  I love making chicken sausage and I agree that the fat is almost different.  The thighs make such a great sausage!

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Great looking bird sausage! I leave the skin out when we make ours and have found that the fat from the thighs is enough. We use the skin to make schmaltz.

Point!

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Nice sausage. Points for including the recipe.

Disco

slevin

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 25, 2016
Do you think this recipe would work good with pork? Im looking for a sweet basil type recipe.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 20, 2016
Great looking sausage and thx. for posting your recipe, I will definitly be trying this one. Point

mickey jay

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 29, 2012
Slevin,

Ya know, I don't see why it wouldn't work for pork, although when I do this again I'll put in half the basil and probably use a lighter red wine, or perhaps a white.  The wine mellowed after about a month in the freezer, but it was pretty strong initially.  So initially it was very floral.

slevin

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 25, 2016
So I ended trying it. I went with 1 tbs of basil and I still think it was a little much. I used a rose wine and it was too foral tasting as well. I ended up adding more pork to mellow it out. I was definitely a good start. I think I'm going to add some fennel to itnext time.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
So I ended trying it. I went with 1 tbs of basil and I still think it was a little much. I used a rose wine and it was too foral tasting as well. I ended up adding more pork to mellow it out. I was definitely a good start. I think I'm going to add some fennel to itnext time.
Slevin, here's a recipe I use with great results. just leave out what ya don't want.
I'm not sure if you have a scale to measure grams or not but there's are sites that can convert it for ya.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/241766/tomato-basil-and-rosemary-sausage.

:ahijack: Sorry about that!

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
Making this one tomorrow, minus the skin.  I will keep all the existing thigh fats.  this looks like exactly the recipe I was looking for!  thanks for sharing!   Making chicken sausage and then grinding burger meat.  Great Sunday!

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
just made this and fried up a sampler.  Man that is some good S**T!  wow, super tasty.   the only change I made was no skin and white wine.  Ground the chicken course and stuffed almost 10ft!

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 20, 2016
ny pics of the final product?  It is a good sausage, we made similar to this but I want to try this one.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.