Bark or no bark?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joel11230

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 21, 2016
When you smoke (or cook) with wood do you remove the bark? I've heard different things but want to know from you all. Thank you, Joel

I remove the bark. Bark usually has a higher percentage of tannins in it. Which could give off a bitter smoke when burned. Oak specifically is one that has a higher amount of tannins in the bark and is used in the tanning process of hides.

I burn with the bark on in my offset. Unless I'm adding wood chunks to charcoal or lump. Then I tend to burn bark-less wood.

Sorry guys, had an early job call in for this morning. Thank you for the replys. I personally don't think it matters too much but I am no expert by any means. And I've only used pecan for the cook as I haven't found anything else in my area yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky