Barbecue connoisseurs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattintexas

Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
Can't go to sleep so I thought I would post. My brother in law is a brisket connoisseur, meaning he has eaten it at all the famous places in Texas and thinks he knows everything. Yet he's never smoked a brisket. Ever. I've eaten at some of those places and have found them mediocre, so I'm smoking a brisket for Thanksgiving. My goal: a better brisket than anything he thinks he knows is good. God bless family, and forgive them at the same time, especially those who have no clue of the reLigon of smoking brisket.

Go get 'em, you'll give him something new to talk about.

Good luck with that brisket and please let us know how it works out.

Most of all, have FUN with the whole thing.

Ed

It's not hard to smoke a brisket at home that is better than the best brisket at just about any restaurant, anywhere.

That's the nature of cooking on a large scale. You just can't keep the quality up on that scale.

If your brother-in-law was really a barbecue connoisseur, he would smoke his own like the rest of us do.

Go for it, Matt! We have a neighbor couple who said they always hit the BBQ places when they travel (they're from NY) and love brisket. We had them over for dinner this summer and of course I made brisket. They said it was better than anything they'd had in restaurants, and I'm no master.
Show that brother in law a real home cooked brisky!
:grilling_smilie:

Thanks everyone. Since posting, and for the two or so weeks before, I smoked every weekend. The other factor is my neighbor has a big Green egg, which I consider heresy but he made a pretty good brisket. It's about 50 degrees outside while I write, and I'm sitting here in shorts playing with the smoker. Professionally, I am an accountant, and aside from engineers and scientists, I can't think of another profession that dislikes multiple variables more. But apparently, that is the name of the game. I've resigned myself to the idea that smoking is an art, not a science. Brand of charcoal or species/seasoning of wood, air flow, tuning plate spacing, ambient temperature, ambient wind...all variables. Oh, and there are others. Which I guess is all the more reason to enjoy it. So, I will enjoy practicing my religion. I just hope my pastor isn't mad at me when I fall asleep in church tomorrow!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky