bar top caoting?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lennyluminum

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
ST. Petersburg, FL
I am building a bar on my deck out back and I was wondering if any one on here has ever done this? I was thinking about coating the top with some polyurethane for wood floors but I dont know how well it would work. They make some bar top coatings but they are very expensive. I'm not looking for a real thick coating just want it to be smooth and shiny. The bar will be under a roof so the sun will not be a problem and it wont be getting wet.

Maybe look at a marine type polyurethane finish. Or go to Home Depot or Lowes I am sure they can help you. My self I like the water based type. Easy clean up and no smell. Gives a nice hard finish.

My bar sits outside year round, I used a marine polyurethane. It's expensive stuff but one gallon goes a long way.
I check my bar every spring and do any touch ups if needed.

Should mention my bar top is natural stone and the rest is wood. I cover the whole thing with the polyurethane.

Take pics for us.
biggrin.gif

A good marine polyurethane will do you just fine. But like jeannie said you have to keep an eye on it for deep scarthies or cracks. If that happens just coat it again.

Poly in not UV resistant. You would be better off with a Varnish if you can find it. A marine Spar varnish is also a good choise. The stuff they sell in HD is not a real Spar Varnish, just marketing BS. Read the label, it is a urathane varnish. But it would last longer than a straight poly.

I don't think I really need a UV cause the bar will be on the covered porch.

here are some pics of the bar so far.
I build pool cages and screen rooms for a living so I used 2x2 aluminum for the framing cause I have it laying around.

I put pt plywood on the sides and will cover it with vinyl siding at some point.

the top is 2 pieces of 3/4 inch ply wood glued and screwed together.

Nice looking Job so far. Needs some bottles of booze on it to make it come alive.

I got a good deal on a 12 foot long x 4 ft wide 3/4" Red Oak plywood. I made a 12 foot long bar in the basement. I covered it with a dark reddish stain then Spar varnish. It has stood up to quite harsh usage and at least one bar dance by a drunken bridesmaid. I finished it down to 1600 grit wet then finally shined with pumice stone. You can see your face in it.
The nice thing about spar varnish is that it doesn't produce those ugly white bar rings from wet glasses.

The bar dance produced a few medium scratches which were easily touched up and re polished. To prevent further bar dances I hung some lower lighting fixtures directly over the bar so no more big fat stupid drunken sister-in-laws are able to cavort atop my masterpiece.

Boy was I smoked. That was 20 years ago and it still makes me mad.

Quote= Having a grudge isn't such a bad thing- it keeps your memory sharp ........ Hagar the Horrible.

Quote= I don't hold a grudge- I hug it to death ....... Gnubee the Horrible.

just gonna sand and stain the plywood then coat it with I guess spar varnish seems to be the choice on here. does any one have a price range for this stuff?

I use spar urethane that has an oil base on my outdoor wood, it does have UV protection. Most major brands are running around $43.00 a gallon at Lowe's or Home Depot. It is worth the $$$. I've done all my redwood fences using that stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky