Bar-Style aka Thin Crust Pizza Cooked on Big Green Egg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
You know what they say about bar-style pies...... There is more room for beer when there is less dough on board. biggrin1.gif
Mrs ~t~ blind bakes our pizza crust for the freezer and we pressure can our own sauce, so a pizza is never too far away. Sometimes we'll add some homemade pesto to the sauce. The crust is crispy and chewy and the toppings get pretty close to the edge.

frjkeCI.jpg

Aqhvnn8.jpg

nLh4TRX.jpg

This is typical of the toppings, not super heavy since the crust is thin.

7TO3J5c.jpg

The cooking method for all of my pizza is using my Big Green Egg with plate setter (heat shield) and a 425° to 450° pit temp with B&B lump charcoal. The pizza sits directly on the grate and takes roughly 12 minutes for a regular finish, or about 16 minutes for a well done pie. I don't add any flavor wood or pellets, I'm just going for the 'brick oven' flavor on the cheese and sauce.

QyEwbbM.jpg

Here is a regular finish on this 1st pepperoni, and it's followed by a well done finish on the pepperoni & red pepper.

Th46DCk.jpg

Zf4FDV4.jpg
This gives you an idea of how thin the crust is

b4HQUiI.jpg

This sausage and onion pizza with the square cut pieces is like they serve in taverns in St Louis.

LF6XrPR.jpg

And here is a pepperoni and sausage that's a hair lighter on the pepperoni than those first two.

qptHeKg.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. Info on the homemade crust?
You can make several crusts, then store in the freezer in a zipper bag. You can build a pizza and go right on your grill or oven, or build one and hold in the freezer until ready to bake.
PslPbjD.jpg
I put this video together last year but you need to use the pause button to read the panels of instructions. I didn't allow enough delay time.

Some really nice work there, Like, even tho I'm a thick crust aficionado. Love the finish on the well done. RAY

You know what they say about bar-style pies...... There is more room for beer when there is less dough on board. View attachment 513346
Mrs ~t~ blind bakes our pizza crust for the freezer and we pressure can our own sauce, so a pizza is never too far away. Sometimes we'll add some homemade pesto to the sauce. The crust is crispy and chewy and the toppings get pretty close to the edge.

View attachment 513347

View attachment 513348

View attachment 513349

This is typical of the toppings, not super heavy since the crust is thin.

View attachment 513350

The cooking method for all of my pizza is using my Big Green Egg with plate setter (heat shield) and a 425° to 450° pit temp with B&B lump charcoal. The pizza sits directly on the grate and takes roughly 12 minutes for a regular finish, or about 16 minutes for a well done pie. I don't add any flavor wood or pellets, I'm just going for the 'brick oven' flavor on the cheese and sauce.

View attachment 513351

Here is a regular finish on this 1st pepperoni, and it's followed by a well done finish on the pepperoni & red pepper.

View attachment 513352

View attachment 513353
This gives you an idea of how thin the crust is

View attachment 513356

This sausage and onion pizza with the square cut pieces is like they serve in taverns in St Louis.

View attachment 513354

And here is a pepperoni and sausage that's a hair lighter on the pepperoni than those first two.

View attachment 513355
Looks fantastic - just to be sure the yeast is instant yeast?

Wow! They look amazing! I think BBQ pizza definitely deserves It’s own forum here with as many strong opinions on thick verse thin, etc. as foil verse paper or no wrap! I grew up eating “bar style” pizza as the norm in my town, but my mom was from Chicago …so, I’m a man with no crust to call home. Let’s me enjoy them all though and yours are perfect for a few cold beers! Thank you for sharing!

They all look awesome! I like all different types of pizza but the thin crust is really good! We started par baking then freezing crusts also... really like the way they turn out. Care to share your sauce recipe?

Ryan

Have yet to meet a style of pizza I didn't like. Your's look great. Growing up in NJ, Hand Tossed NY Style is the most common. A Thick Sicilian Style is usually available as well. I've not had Thin Crust outside of the Pizza Hut chain. Walmart has been carrying a Detroit Style Frozen pizza that is very good...JJ

Great looking finish on your pies, and i'd sit down to all of those, but the sausage and onion caught my eye :)

I like all pizza styles ( sorry not sea food )
but I am also in the hand tossed thicker crust group.

But will eat all kinds, I have even used the store made crust for on the BBQ
add your own toppings. And they turn out good also

David

Some great looking pizzas right there!! Beautiful work. Looks like you have those things down to a science.

Robert

Like!

We've been doing pizzas for many years. The recipe traces back to my mom, who patterned her recipe after the thin-crust pies in the Chicagoland area. My wife has tweaked the crust and sauce recipes since.

Question: I see you use yeast in the crust recipe, but I didn't see where you let the dough rise. Did I miss that? My mom used yeast and she didn't set the aside to rise before she cooked the pie. My wife just deletes the yeast from the recipe to get a paper-thin but crunchy crust.

Those are some good looking pizzas!
I don’t eat pizza often, but when I do I like to really cover it with pepperoni.
21.JPG

Al

Last edited:
Reactions: thirdeye
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky