Ballistic Chicken again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Little Elm, TX
I have been making Ballistic (smoker fried) Chicken quite a few times over the past year. I decided to make a couple changes and go for a "Nashville Hot" version.
Changes:
1- Brine the Chicken, I did a typical brine, except that I added a cup of Krystal Hot Sauce
2- In addition to BBQ rub in the dredge, I added Black Pepper (2 tsp) and Cayenne Pepper (1 tsp)

In the end, it was crispy with heat but not too hot, super tender and juicy. Not sure why but I had a bit of dry flour on the to of a couple pieces of chicken, it did not change the taste, but the appearance was a bit off.

image2[2058].jpeg

image1[2057].jpeg

image0[2056].jpeg

image1[2063].jpeg

image4[2066].jpeg

Creamy cucumbers and orzo salad balanced the heat from the chicken

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Love me some fried chicken......And that looks absolutely amazing! And that plate looks great too!
Jim
Thanks Jim, it was yummy
thats an interesting way to cook chicken !!
if it tastes 1/2 as good as it looks ..i wanta peice !!

how long did you smoke it and at what temp ? i gotta try this
Thanks Cal, I smoked it at 365 it took about an hour
Yes please splain? Also what else is in the dredge? Want to try as well - nice looking plate!
The recipe I got from Ballistic BBQ, I changed it up a bit.
By first rolling the chicken in Corn Starch, then Club Soda, then the dredge. The Soda reacts with the corn starch and the baking powder in the dredge.
The Dredge, AP Flour, Panko, Baking Powder, Salt Pepper, Paprika, BBQ rub and Cayenne Pepper (pepper for heat)
No Oil!

Thanks!

Jason

Reactions: clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky