Bad Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I have been blaming my mailbox for bad air flow. I tried smoking some cheese and bacon yesterday with the mailbox now on a short connection and pellets kept going out. I had microwaved them. Food probably going to taste bad from poorly burning pellets. I am smoking a cured pork butt and ribs today. Unhooked mailbox and put tray in smoker. Still could not keep lit. I am two hours into smoke now. They are lumberjack competition blend. I just dumped out and put some hickory in. Can tell all ready burning a lot better. Any saving them?

Try putting them on a cookie sheet in the oven for a couple hours, I do mine at 275 for 2 hrs ish... the humidity levels in MI in the summer will render them useless quick without baking them

I'm leaning toward manufacturers adding a flame retardant to some of their "smoking" woods... Pucks, pellets etc....
I think they are trying to keep their products from bursting into flame, which eliminates smoke, and get them to smolder at a higher temperature...
If you stick a torch to them and they flame, then the flame goes out in a moment or 2, or they won't smolder WITHOUT heat being applied, I think there is a retardant added to the wood product.....

I have no problem with my Lumber Jack competition blend in my A-MAZE-N pellet tray and MES 30. I do nuke them for a minute or two prior to using. No mailbox mod as of yet.

Make them into dust. Works "way" better. Just soak for 5 mins, put on tray 275° for 1 hr in oven. I use that blend all the time. Can burn pellets in tube but won't stay lit in tray either. Got the dust going on some walleye now.

I have been using Lumberjack pecan, mesquite, maple, and hickory here in the wet lands of Oregon. Rained 1.3" today, 2.3" tomorrow. We will have had 2 days in 2 weeks by the time we get to next Friday. I Bought my pellets in late August last year. I have been sealing my pellets in 5gallon buckets. So far, Knock on wood, Mine are still burning fine. Hopefully The above fixes will work for you. I use both a tube and ANMPS. I have tried the dust in the ANMPS but had a hard time keeping it give good smoke, it wound just barely smolder. Good luck getting the pellets renewed.

The hickory still smoking away. The pellets where new. Will try oven first than dust if that dont work.

Try putting them on a cookie sheet in the oven for a couple hours, I do mine at 275 for 2 hrs ish... the humidity levels in MI in the summer will render them useless quick without baking them

Do you do this just before you smoke?

Guess I got lucky . Gen 1 mes 30 . No trouble at all . I would hate to be without it .

Thought give these pellets one more try. Put in oven two hours. Still wont stay lit. Just put them in the tube to see if that works. Trying to smoke meatloaf. Guess need switch to my other pellets and trash these!

Hickory burning good. I still got 2 other bags got same time as competition blend have not tried. I hope they burn!

Thought give these pellets one more try. Put in oven two hours. Still wont stay lit. Just put them in the tube to see if that works. Trying to smoke meatloaf. Guess need switch to my other pellets and trash these!
Get em wet so they expand to dust then dry em and try em before pitching em.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky