Bacon the easy way!! Thanks Pops!! With Q-View.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fpnmf

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 19, 2010
Fl
1 gallon water

1-2 cups salt

2 cups sugar

1 rounded Tablespoon pink salt (one ounce, 1/4 of the max allowed)

I used two times the above mixture.

I added

Garlic and pepper. Lots of it.

Cut the bellie into large pieces, put them in the brine/cure  (skin on)  in food safe bucket from Winn Dixie bakery!!

Covered with a one gallon bag of water to keep them submerged.

Put lid on bucket,write date on the top and off to the fridge for 7-10 days.

bcf59264_confit002.jpg

96fc97ec_confit003.jpg

5551ef92_confit004.jpg

See ya in about 8 days!!

Have a great day!!

Craig

Last edited:
Looking good (as usual) neighbor.

Maybe I'll be there when you slice this one, I wan't to get some pics of that Awesome slicer you got so I can share it with the folks 
biggrin.gif

Great Start......

Must take up a lot of room in the fridge???

Todd

Great Start......

Must take up a lot of room in the fridge???

Todd
I am a lucky guy Todd.

Got a shed that holds the tools, gardening equip, chest freezer and the extra fridge.

And the curing chamber -- once I find it....

Craig

He has a dedicated fridge.  Lucky dog!

I bet it turns out great, tho.

Good luck and good smoking.
Yup.. when we bought this house Lowes was having a no interest for 18 months appliance sale.

Got a huge Whirlpool fridge, Maytag convection oven, chest freezer,real nice hood fan and a mircowave--all stainless.

Free delivery and installation and they took the old fridge and chest freezer out to the shed.

$2,200.

Have a great day.

Looks good so far Craig. I agree Pops recipe is almost too easy.
Thanks Al...

Have a great day!!!

Nice looking bacon craig.... Is that with the skin removed.......The great thing about the bacon is it gives you an excuse to use your new slicer..................................
icon14.gif

After making bacon several times I have decided it is best to remove the skin before brining and the cold smoke. I found the skin to prohibits the flavor penetration into the belly.....

Joe

Nice looking bacon craig.... Is that with the skin removed.......The great thing about the bacon is it gives you an excuse to use your new slicer..................................
icon14.gif

After making bacon several times I have decided it is best to remove the skin before brining and the cold smoke. I found the skin to prohibits the flavor penetration into the belly.....

Joe
Thanks Joe!!

Skin on dude!!  I go the distance with Pops instructions...he sez it doesnt prohibit anything..

And it comes off real easy right out of the smoker.

I sliced 5 pounds of round for jerky this morning.

Took more time to cleanup than slice.

And 2 rounds in the Reveo the jerky was in the smoker and dehydrator!!

Have a great day !!!

Craig

Nice looking Belly there Craig!!

Can't wait at this end!!!

popcorn.gif

Thanks, 

Bear
Thank you Bear ...it was you that told me I can do it and you helped me a lot!!

You have always been helpful and I appreciate ya!!

Craig

Craig.  I like your recipe vs a dry cure...seems like less work flipping my darn bags every day, or was it supposed to be every other day.

But I like to over-buy stuff and I have 3 bags of Tender Quick!  Do you have an adjustment to that recipe for the use of TQ?  Like is 1T of pink salt the same as 1T of Tender Quick?  

And where the heck do you get pink salt?  It was hard enough trying to find TQ, that't why I bought so much.

Thanks, 

Jeff

Craig.  I like your recipe vs a dry cure...seems like less work flipping my darn bags every day, or was it supposed to be every other day.

But I like to over-buy stuff and I have 3 bags of Tender Quick!  Do you have an adjustment to that recipe for the use of TQ?  Like is 1T of pink salt the same as 1T of Tender Quick?  NO,NO!!!!!!!!

And where the heck do you get pink salt?  It was hard enough trying to find TQ, that't why I bought so much.

Thanks, 

Jeff
Two entirely different things...don't try it...really.

Pink salt is easy to find.

Here's a little reading and the place to get pink salt.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts

http://www.butcher-packer.com/  

Have a great day!!

Craig

you are my hero.  these links are a great read, and clarified things.  i'm good now, thanks.
Awww geeee....thanks!

I am going to put the whole thing together later this week.

It's just a way of making bacon..there are many ways  for sure.

Have a great day!!

Craig

Looks like Pops gave a how to with his way of doing things with bacon...I will follow up soon...

Craig

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky