Bacon taste more like ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beggar

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
picayune,ms.
I pull my buckboard bacon last night after 9 hours of smoke (oak) in my MES using a pellet tray . I cured for 12 days in Pops brine. I let it sit overnight in the fridge after brine
I did get sidetracked and soaked in ice water for almost 2 hours. I have 3 pieces and I burn the left , I guess it was under the smoke side and I should have put my water
tray there between the meat and tray . But that is ok comes with the learning curve. It is not salty at all but a little sweet,bottom line is it taste like ham. Almost forgot,I had
the smoker at 100 but it look like it stayed higher than that most of the time. You guys are great, I read a lot and post a little. I took a few pics but the card in camera won't fit in my computer.

Reactions: jcam222
it sounds good to me, I do bbb with pop's brine and it does have a little hammie flavor, I think if your looking for pure bacon flavor try a the pork belly.

Last time we did bbb we did 1/2 using pops brine, and 1/2 using bearcarvers way with tenderquick. We all liked bearcarvers better, while pops was good it seemed a bit sweeter to us. Now earlier this week just smoked some belly bacon doing the same test but cut back on the sugar a bit in pops brine and we all thought it didn't have as much flavor. So don't have it quite dialed in to our likes, maybe should have used the same amounts as the bbb and belly bacon. It's all about trial and error...but by no means is anything wasted, just more bacon to eat

Ryan

I describe buckboard to my friends a a cross between bacon and ham. My friends all go nuts for it. I use Pops too.

It is the same curing brine as ham, just the cut is different. Use less sugars to give it a more tart taste.
We like your brine, just haven't gotten it dialed in for our tastes yet...but getting closer! The best thing about it is that it's so easy. We have a fridge in shop we use for curing so space is not a problem

Hope your recovery is going well for you
Best wishes
Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
I decided to put them back in the smoker for a few more hours because the toasty piece had the best flavor. no heat just smoke. I want to thank each of you guys for your comments, It has help a lot to know I'm on the right track,and a special thanks to Pops and I hope you have a speedy recovery

It's the FAT on a Belly that makes it taste like American Bacon. That and cooking until almost crispy. Buck Board Bacon, unless the Butt has a thick Fat Cap, is too lean so it is more similar to Ham...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky