Bacon, Step by Step Video

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I have done several videos on back bacon, chipotle bacon, pepper bacon etc. However, it has been pointed out that I haven't done a video on how to make basic bacon.

I got a hunk of side pork and was decided to do a detailed video of how I make a basic bacon. I will walk through the process in this post and the video is at the end.

I got a small slab of side pork (pork belly) in the supermarket. I cut the skin off and measured the thickest part of the slab. For each kg of pork I mixed the following together (I have included dry and weight measures):

30 ml/25.8 grams brown sugar
15 ml/19.2 grams kosher salt
2.3 ml/3 grams Prague powder #1

If you are behind the rest of the world and are still using US measures, that works out to the following per pound of pork:

2 1/2 tsp/0.35 oz brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp/0.3 oz kosher salt
1/5 tsp/0.04 oz pink salt

I put the slab on a plate and rubbed the mixture into it.

Bacon 01.jpg

I put the slab into a vacuum seal bag with one end sealed. I made sure to scrape any rub that fell onto the plate in the bag. I sealed the bag without sucking the air out.

Bacon 02.jpg

I put the meat in the refrigerator for 2 days per inch of thickness plus 2 days. My meat was 1 1/2 inch thick so that is (1 1/2 times 4 plus 2) 8 days. I turned and massaged it every day or so.

I took the meat out of the bag and soaked it in cold water for 60 minutes, changing the water once.

I put it on a rack and patted it dry with a paper towel.

Bacon 03.jpg

I put the slab in the fridge, uncovered, overnight to dry out and develop pellicle.

The next day, I used my A-Maze-N tube smoker to cold smoke the slab for 4 to 5 hours.

Bacon 04.jpg

I put it in the fridge for 2 days to let the smoke even out.

I preheated my smoker to 180 F and smoked it to an internal temperature of between 130 to 140 F. I let it cool to room temperature and refrigerated overnight.

Bacon 05.jpg

I sliced it to a little less than 1/8 inch thick.

Bacon 06.jpg

A test fry.

Bacon 09.jpg

The movie:

The Verdict

This is great bacon. I really like dry cured bacon and this has a nice smokey taste with a touch of sweet! Enjoy!

Disco

Disco that looks great I am sure it will be very helpful for anyone starting off making Bacon. Big Like
Richie

Great video and tutorial Disco. If I ever get into bacon making I'll be referencing this post.

Point for sure.
Chris

Disco, I can't make your math work. (Maybe it's Canadian math.)
I put the meat in the refrigerator for 2 days per inch of thickness plus 2 days. My meat was 1 1/2 inch thick so that is (1 1/2 times 4 plus 2) 8 days. I turned and massaged it every day or so.
Did you really mean to say, "4 days per inch" instead of, "2 days per inch?"

Great video and tutorial Disco. If I ever get into bacon making I'll be referencing this post.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks for the point! I appreciate it Chris.

Disco, I can't make your math work. (Maybe it's Canadian math.)

Did you really mean to say, "4 days per inch" instead of, "2 days per inch?"

Yes, I meant to say four days per inch. I know some say 2 days per inch but I found that a bare minimum. For an inch and a half it would only equal 3 days. If I did the dry cure longer, I find I get a more even cure. When I started out, some resources said to do all pork for 14 days regardless of thickness. Some said 2 or 3 days per inch. Another said under 2 inches 7 days and over 2 inches 14 days.

By trial and error, I find I get a good equilibrium with the four days per inch and a couple of days extra. 2 days worked but just didn't seem as strong a cure to me. I do point out that I never dry cure anything over 3 inches which takes 14 days (3 time 4 plus 2).

So, 4 days times 1 1/2 inch equals 6 days (4 times 1 1/2 equals 6). I add 2 days for insurance and that gives 8 days. Canadian math!

Your bacon looks beautiful and tasty! Disco, you cooked your bacon to IT of between 130 to 140 F so, it's not a cooked product and has to be fried later in order to consume it... Just wondering - is all commercially made bacon (which you can buy in your local supermarket) made the same way?

Your bacon looks beautiful and tasty! Disco, you cooked your bacon to IT of between 130 to 140 F so, it's not a cooked product and has to be fried later in order to consume it... Just wondering - is all commercially made bacon (which you can buy in your local supermarket) made the same way?
You are correct it is not a cooked product. It can be just cold smoked and works out fine.

When you make bacon you have 3 choices.

1. Cold smoke it. This gives a great product but I find it a little soft to slice easily unless you have a top of the line rotary slicer.
  2. Hot smoke it until cooked. This involves heating the meat up to a safe serving temperature (over 150 F in my opinion) which means that it is safe to eat without reheating. However, I find this has a minor effect on the bacon's texture that I don't like.
  3. Smoke it to between 130 to 140 F which does not produce a product you don't have to cook but does make it easier to slice. I find the texture close to cold smoking.
All three will make a good bacon. My choice to partially cook it suits me but the other choices also make great bacon. I usually do a cold smoke and then a hot smoke to 130-140F because I like a strong smoke flavour but will just do the hot smoke sometimes because She Who Must Be Obeyed likes a mild smoke.

As for commercial bacon, I have never worked in the industry and would be pleased to be corrected by others but my understanding is that commercial bacon is injected with a curing brine and then exposed to a medium heat smoke that does not cook it. So, commercial bacon should be cooked before consuming. This does change with back (Canadian) bacon where some operations cook to a safe temperature to serve cold. As I said this is from reading around and I am not an expert on commercial bacon production.

In short, if someone tells you they only cold smoke, they are correct.
If they tell you they hot smoke to a safe temperature, they are correct.
If they tell they smoke to firm but not a safe temperature, they are correct.

I really appreciate your respond, Disco! Usually I hot smoke bacon to IT 151 -155 so I and my family could eat it at any time without cooking. Cold smoked bacon two-tree times but didn't exactly liked it. Never tried "semi-smoked" (like yours) bacon though.... Well, need to make some room in my freezer to prepare it for BACON!!!

I really appreciate your respond, Disco! Usually I hot smoke bacon to IT 151 -155 so I and my family could eat it at any time without cooking. Cold smoked bacon two-tree times but didn't exactly liked it. Never tried "semi-smoked" (like yours) bacon though.... Well, need to make some room in my freezer to prepare it for BACON!!!
I make back (Canadian) bacon like that often as She Who Must Be Obeyed occasionally eats a slice in a sandwich but we would never eat streaky bacon without cooking it so it isn't a problem.

Thanks for that instruction. I may not be able to wait until spring to make some of that.. Looks fantastic!!!

It is a fun project but ask around. There is an addiction to making bacon problem.

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky