Bacon, Step by Step Video

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok, thanks I will be using vacuum bags just so they don’t leak :emoji_astonished:

Will let you know how it goes.

Every brine recipe I read seems to vary quite a bit with the amount of cure and salt, this recipe has put me on the straight and narrow.

Ok, thanks I will be using vacuum bags just so they don’t leak :emoji_astonished:

Will let you know how it goes.

Every brine recipe I read seems to vary quite a bit with the amount of cure and salt, this recipe has put me on the straight and narrow.

The amount of cure is the part than has health risks. You don't want to go over 200 ppm for surface cured (dry cure) pork. This comes in under that so you will be fine.

Done using your method. Had to grind up my salt, rock salt. No kosher salt here.

Think end 2 inch, thin end 1 inch.

If I leave it in to long will it get saltier? I need to go away for work and may need to leave longer.

Thick end.

989C3994-C0E7-4C40-873F-EEED410D9AD9.jpeg

F13542DE-2847-4E77-9E8A-E44A2999E2F2.jpeg

The thickest part is what you use to determine how long to cure it. It will not get saltier if you cure it longer. The salt just equalizes. It isn't a problem if you have to leave it a couple of days longer but I don't like to cure for more than 14 days.

I should let you know, I have never worked with rock salt! I am interested in the result.

Now you tell me :emoji_astonished: (Joking with ya mate)

I Have used it in wet brine before. Man I hope it works.

The stuff I got is Rock salt made from sea salt. Very coarse, mortar, pestle and patience is required.

I went everywhere looking for kosher salt. I’ll order some online.

C7BF7A3D-7944-40CC-92E0-F691BACFEA8A.jpeg

4BA61F2D-D7FD-40A9-886A-A78B6224246E.jpeg

Ok, I think I had a fail with this one. Live and learn.

Left in brine for 12 days and it didn’t appear to cure right through, think because it’s so thick, I think injection method next time on big thick pieces. I hot smoked at 180f for 8 hours until 150f.

I also did some pork fillet cured for 6 days, that nearly cured all the way through.

Popped the bacon and some fillet on the fry pan and it did taste awesome, the loin just not pink and hammy.

A732148C-C5E1-457C-82EB-9195E90876AF.jpeg

6 days cure, I think 8-10 would have been perfect. The pork fillet can just see the white in center.

AABF6D39-D149-4215-A702-8FD2902092D2.jpeg

I am super surprised it didn't cure through in 12 days. The cure goes in 1/4 inch per day for a total of 1/2 inch and it looks like you only got that much in total. You say you left it in a brine for 12 days. This post is a dry cure recipe. You didn't make up a water brine did you?

That first picture shows some other problem, other than too thick.
The pink should have gone a lot farther than that after 12 days.
Maybe not enough Cure or Fridge too cold???

The second one is just too short. I don't cure anything under 8 days---Even if it's not thick.

Bear

Ok, even that thick it should have worked, argh. Disco I did Dry brine as per your instructions to the gram.

Bear - thank you, I reckon you are spot on, maybe fridge to cold. Just checked 4-5c and I had them on bottom shelf. What do you run yours at?

I also was quite surprised that the cure only went such a small way.

Ok, even that thick it should have worked, argh. Disco I did Dry brine as per your instructions to the gram.

Bear - thank you, I reckon you are spot on, maybe fridge to cold. Just checked 4-5c and I had them on bottom shelf. What do you run yours at?

I also was quite surprised that the cure only went such a small way.

4-5c should be good, if that's accurate. Most people don't really know what their Fridge Temp is. I keep mine @ about 37°.
Here is how I do it:
Curing Fridge Set-up (Bear's Method)

Bear

Reactions: Jabiru
This may be a dumb question but can you not use the sugar? What if an individual doesn't care for their bacon to be sweet? Can you add more salt or take away salt? When would you add other ingredients such as paprika, garlic powder etc? Add it into the dry brine or rub after the curing process?

This may be a dumb question but can you not use the sugar? What if an individual doesn't care for their bacon to be sweet? Can you add more salt or take away salt? When would you add other ingredients such as paprika, garlic powder etc? Add it into the dry brine or rub after the curing process?

Not a Dumb Question:
Most people use some Sugar to counter the salt flavor.
If you use Cure #1 Pink salt you can adjust more or less Salt.
I like to add things like Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, and CBP after curing & rinsing, before forming the Pellicle.
The only thing I add to my curing bags, other than Meat & Cure is Brown Sugar.

Bear

I don't disagree with Bear's comments but I don't think you would enjoy bacon with no sugar added. Some sweet is needed or it just tastes too salty. If it is an issue of you are on a sugar free diet, I have heard of people using artificial sweeteners or super sweet natural alternatives like stevia.

If it isn't a sugar free diet issue and just taste, I would suggest cutting the sugar in half and keep reducing it to your tastes.

My recipe is quite high in sugar as I like a sweet bacon so reducing it some wouldn't hurt.

My first post and first attempt at bacon. I bought a whole belly and have cut it into 3 pieces. One at 1.59, one at 1.302 and one at 1.466kg. Am planning on doing the cold smoke first like in the video. Stay tuned

Reactions: Jabiru
Well Sir, I really want to thank you for this tutorial. This is my second smoker, sold my first one to a neighbor who I loaned it to, to smoke some fresh caught salmon. Decided to drill a bunch of holes in it to hang his fish! Sold. Anyway bought this Bradley with a cold smoke kit of of our local used stuff site. Done nothing but wings and beef ribs, Usually turned out ok,ish but my first attempt at Bacon with your video was a huge success.

Thank you very much

Attachments

• 1st bacon.png
    1st bacon.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Several points.

First, no Sir here! I'm just a fat old Canadian. David, Disco or Old Fat Guy to my friends.

Second, your neighbour is amazing. I would never have that kind of cajones!

Third, You will love your Bradley. That was my first smoker and I wish I hadn't got rid of it. It is the best sausage smoker I owned.

Fourth, don't give up on ribs and wings, after some learning and experimentation, I did great ribs and wings in my Bradley. I like my pellet smoker for those but I earned my chops in my Bradley!

Fifth, I apologize. You will likely become addicted to making your own bacon. You will start to adjust the recipe to your own tastes and won't want to go back to store bought. I know of no cure for this addiction.

Sixth, you are a very kind soul for getting back to me with your kind words.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky