Bacon Second Go Round

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xjcamaro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Western PA
Since my first round of bacon went so well i got a second belly and started it 9 days ago and got it all ready tonight to stick it in the smoker tomorrow. I had a 10 lb belly cut into 3 slabs, but i cut one of the three in half and coated it in coarse ground pepper for pepper bacon. Here is a tease until i get the smoked pictures up in the next couple days.

389cb0d1_bacon1.jpg

98ab9f30_bacon2.jpg

See ya when i get them all done!

Last edited:
That is just wrong to tease like that.  Can't wait to see the finished sliced and ready to eat!

Looks like a great start and I look forward to more Qview

They look nice already!

Can't wait for the dark reddish brown color & the pictures of some slices later!  

Bear

Here you go! Now you can continue drooling all over your keyboards!

In the smoker

9257944f_bacon3.jpg

Regular Bacon out of the smoker

e7cf5109_bacon5.jpg

Pepper bacon out of the smoker.

19c2291e_bacon6.jpg

All the bacon sliced

07022a78_bacon8.jpg

Pepper bacon sliced

bf35fada_bacon7.jpg

All vacuum sealed and ready for the freezer

51ee82a6_bacon4.jpg

We fried up a couple peices, all tasted good. I really like the pepper bacon, very tasty! I wish i would have made more than a tiny little slab of it. Oh well, next time i will make about half of it pepper bacon.

Thanks for looking!

Reactions: meateater
The peppered chunk looks good. It all looks good.

I have 14.5 pounds of belly that hit 7 days in the fridge.

Have some andouille ready too.

Waiting on some pecan to get busy.

That looks great XJC.

The color is beautiful!

Gotta be tasting great!!!
drool.gif

Sorry about the drooling above !

Bear

I cured this bacon in the TQ cure without any sugar (1/2 oz per lb). Put it in bags and let it sit for 9 days, flipping and rubbing it daily. On day nine i pulled it from the bags, rinsed it off and soaked it in ice water for a 1/2 hour. Pulled it out, rinsed it again and pat dried it with paper towels. Cut and fried a test peice, it was perfect. The small slab of pepper bacon at this point i just generously sprinkled pepper on each side and rubbed it on and it stuck. Then i set in the fridge overnight uncovered to let it create the slight crust. On the 10th day i fired up the smoker to about 125-130* and used apple wood. Smoked it for about 5 hrs, meat temp was about 100*. Pulled it out at 5 hrs, wrapped it in plastic wrap and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Then sliced it up, and vacuum sealed it. Easy as that!

I do have to say thanks to BearCarver and his step by step instructions and some of his pointers. Without them i probably wouldnt have attempted this bacon thing at all!  
icon_wink.gif

I do have to say thanks to BearCarver and his step by step instructions and some of his pointers. Without them i probably wouldnt have attempted this bacon thing at all!  
icon_wink.gif

I was glad to help---You're a quick study!

Bear

icon_cool.gif

Now that bacon looks awesome and I wish that I had some bellies myself.

I guess that im lucky that i have 2 butchers locally that i can get fresh bellies from. My first batch of bacon was started from a belly that hadn't been off the pig for more than 12 hrs, now that is fresh. But they dont always have them. The other place vacuum seals them and freezes them as soon as they come off the pig.

I dont think that alot of people locally go in and buy bellies cause i get some weird reactions the first time i asked for them. oh well!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky