Bacon, Mushroom and PepperJack Meatloaf (with Qview)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

baja traveler

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
San Diego, Ca
Just finished an awesome dinner with a new recipe I'm working on. I think it's good enough to share now:

Bacon Mushroom and PepperJack Meat Loaf

1 lb Lean ground beef

1 lb Lean ground pork

1 sm Onion; finely chopped

1 can (4.25oz) finely chopped black olives

1 Egg

1/2 c bread crumbs (or Panko crumbs)

1/4 c Evaporated milk

8 oz Grated smoked pepperjack cheese

1 cn (4 oz) Button mushrooms; drained

1 c sweet baby bell peppers, finely chopped

1 pk (12 oz) bacon

In a large bowl add all ingredients but cheese and bacon. Cook and crumble the bacon, drain well and divide in half, placing 1/2 in meat mixture. Add all but 1/2 cup of the shredded smoked cheese to meat mixture. Blend well and place in perforated loaf pan. Or foil pan (removing from pan after 1 hour). Top with cooked crumbled bacon. Smoke at 225* until internal temp is 160*, then top with the rest of the pepperJack (at around the 3 hour mark). Return to smoker and up the temperature to 250*.

Smoke at 250* until 165* internal temp - around 3 1/2 hours. You may notice a stall at 160* - it took me a bit over 3 1/2 hours today to get to 165*.

Place the mixture on a sheet of foil and flatten out to the length of your pan - today I decided to keep the button mushroom whole and have them in the center of the loaf. Simply lift one side of the foil at a time to roll the meat over into a loaf.

413def77_Loaf1.jpg

I used a perforated Baguette tray I got from the cooking store. It works well for the smoker.

968b2bd6_Loaf2.jpg

3 hours in mesquite smoke and time to top with the remaining smoked pepperjack.

422a2590_Loaf3.jpg

Out of the smoker and sliced up for the plate - tomorrow for lunch I'm having the best meatloaf sandwich I've ever had in my life!

fa10c985_Loaf5.jpg

No Qview is complete without the plate view. I don't like tomato products on my meatloaf because I think it covers the flavors of the loaf, but the wife thinks differently, so she opted to top hers with catsup.

3a3ea036_Loaf6.jpg

Reactions: snorkelinggirl
Nice twist on the traditional...JJ

Hi Baja,

I missed this post the first time around, but I'm glad I caught it this time.

Looks great!  I really like the idea of using the baguette tray to help hold the meatloaf together for smoking.  I haven't tried smoked meatloaf yet, but it is on my list.

All of your pictures, but especially your cross-sectional view and plated picture, are just gorgeous.  Thanks for posting your complete recipe and sharing it with the rest of it.

Have a great day!

Clarissa

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky