Bacon in sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I actually specifically used bacon in 3 things recently, all because of DougE DougE ! All for flavor, or smoke taste, and actually my own buckboard bacon end pieces that needed to be used up. But I liked it in all 3 (pork roll, spam, jalapeno spam) at least as much as I would have liked frying up those pieces, so I'm gonna keep doing it! Not sure how much it added, but product was great, and the bacon is great so it can't be hurting! ;)

Reactions: DougE
I actually specifically used bacon in 3 things recently, all because of DougE DougE ! All for flavor, or smoke taste, and actually my own buckboard bacon end pieces that needed to be used up. But I liked it in all 3 (pork roll, spam, jalapeno spam) at least as much as I would have liked frying up those pieces, so I'm gonna keep doing it! Not sure how much it added, but product was great, and the bacon is great so it can't be hurting! ;)

I kind of like that hint of smoke the bacon brings into pork roll. I also swear I pick that same flavor up in Taylor's. Try adding some of that ground trim in a meatloaf. It's delicious.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
I do some sausages with included bacon. Just base your cure amount on the weight of the uncured meat.
I found a recipe for taylor ham that calls for bacon. It calls for enough cure for ten lbs. (total meat weight). If I do like you say and just use enough for the 7lbs. pork, should I mix the cure in with just the pork and let it rest to absorb? Or mix everything all at once?
I guess I should note that this recipe says to smoke at 200 till it hits 125, then poach in 180- degree water to finish.
Thanks, Mike

I found a recipe for taylor ham that calls for bacon. It calls for enough cure for ten lbs. (total meat weight). If I do like you say and just use enough for the 7lbs. pork, should I mix the cure in with just the pork and let it rest to absorb? Or mix everything all at once?
I guess I should note that this recipe says to smoke at 200 till it hits 125, then poach in 180- degree water to finish.
Thanks, Mike
I mix it all together. Both recipes I worked mine out from used less cure#1 than needed for 10 lbs, but more than for just the pork butt. The claim was that less was needed because the bacon is already cured. Ok, I get that, but why more than for just the uncured pork? I don't know why they did it that way, but everything is fully cured by just adding enough for the uncured pork butt in the recipe.

Thanks, Mike
I don't smoke mine, I just finish in sous vide @152° until the IT reaches 152°, then cold water/ice bath it.

If you are doing the non-fermented version with ECA, you want to mix the ECA in last, and go right to the cooking stage. ECA is a cure accelerator, so the meat batter doesn't need a rest to cure. It's recommended to go right to finishing when using ECA.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky