Bacon in sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

mr.twister

Original poster
Sep 2, 2022
Just curious about putting bacon into a sausage, as it has already been cured and smoked. then adding more cure to the sausage mix then smoking them is that bad. Or should I just mix the bacon into fresh sausage. Just curious

Reactions: Fueling Around

mr.twister

Original poster
Sep 2, 2022
That’s what I was hopeing and the cure doesn’t affect the bacon tast or anything

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
Really be mindful of getting a good bind, especially if the chunks of bacon are large. The link in the foreground is a German sausage with bacon.

gOhnlhl.jpg

Reactions: bill ace 350

mr.twister

Original poster
Sep 2, 2022
Man thirdeye thirdeye them sausages look good I did a practice run and made some hamburger paddy’s with some bacon ground in and high temp cheddar and home cured bacon next will be some bacon cheddar dogs

Attachments

• 68C30558-E9EF-4378-AE3A-2A18CD4C493D.jpeg
    68C30558-E9EF-4378-AE3A-2A18CD4C493D.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 16

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
Always good questions.
Best result is what you like for taste and texture.
Your burgers looked good but the texture was very coarse. I've had the same problem.
I don't use high temp cheese in burgers. I want the cheese to melt out.
In smaller sausage size high temp cheese is very chunky. I prefer to crumble it out.
When adding bacon, I dice pretty fine to make the mix better

mr.twister

Original poster
Sep 2, 2022
Yea I agree on the coarseness might send it threw twice next time but still a fun and tasty learning experience

DougE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
What bacon sausages I make, I combine the rest of the pork with the bacon and grind it together. I use trim from bacon I've made and cube it up to grind. I occasionally just run some bacon trim through a medium plate by itself and add it in meatloaf.

Reactions: Nefarious

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
What bacon sausages I make, I combine the rest of the pork with the bacon and grind it together. I use trim from bacon I've made and cube it up to grind. I occasionally just run some bacon trim through a medium plate by itself and add it in meatloaf.
Awesome idea, meatloaf will be my next bacon recipticle. Then I have to increase my production. 😎

Reactions: DougE

DougE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
Awesome idea, meatloaf will be my next bacon recipticle. Then I have to increase my production. 😎
Well, the first time I had cured and smoked a hunk of bacon for Taylor ham and had more than I needed, so I figured why not grind the rest and add it to my meatloaf mix? It's delicious.

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
I would suggest mixing seasoning and curing the meat first.. and then mix bacon (and cheese, if any) in right before stuffing... Not sure what would happen to bacon under a second cure...

Reactions: chopsaw

DougE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
I would suggest mixing seasoning and curing the meat first.. and then mix bacon (and cheese, if any) in right before stuffing... Not sure what would happen to bacon under a second cure...
Nothing, from my experience. I don't know of a taylor ham recipe that calls for separating the bacon and adding it in later. There may be one, but I haven't seen it. I just grind the bacon and pork together and use only enough cure#1 for the uncured weight. It comes out tasting like the taylor ham from the store.

zachyweezer

Nov 30, 2022
I've used bacon in a pinch to up my fat content. It works, but it's an awfully expensive way of supplementing the percentage. The last time I did it, I had run out of pork fat and had just a little too much lean going in a summer sausage I was making. I didn't factor in the bacon when I was doing the math for my salt and cure, but did include it when figuring amounts for things like garlic, paprika, etc.

DougE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
I've used bacon in a pinch to up my fat content. It works, but it's an awfully expensive way of supplementing the percentage. The last time I did it, I had run out of pork fat and had just a little too much lean going in a summer sausage I was making. I didn't factor in the bacon when I was doing the math for my salt and cure, but did include it when figuring amounts for things like garlic, paprika, etc.
The only sausages I make with bacon are ones that I want bacon in. Never use it for the fat content.

DougE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
That’s what I was hopeing and the cure doesn’t affect the bacon tast or anything
I wouldn't expect the cure added to the rest of the meat in the sausage to have any effect on the bacon. The bacon already has a higher salt content than the rest, so the salt isn't going to move into those meat particles unless you were to use a higher salt content than the bacon had to start with.

zachyweezer

Nov 30, 2022
The only sausages I make with bacon are ones that I want bacon in. Never use it for the fat content.

The bacon ends and pieces needed to be used, and I had no fat, pork or otherwise, in the freezer. But hey, at over five bucks per pound for the cheaper brands (compared to like $.90 for pork fat), I agree that going out of your way to use bacon solely as a means of upping your fat content is pretty silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougE

DougE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
Nothing wrong with using what you have. I usually use bacon trim to flavor beans, and stuff like that but yeah, if I needed the fat for some sausage and that's all I had on hand. Ground bacon trim makes a nice addition to meatloaf too.

Reactions: zachyweezer

Hot Threads