Bacon Gone Bad - Jowls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pugsbrew

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
SE Ohio
So, I brined, for two weeks, some jowls and bellies for bacon. I used Pop's recipe. After the brine, I soaked them in water for a day, let them rest in trig for 3-4 days, smoked for a day, then put back in frig for 9 days. I had used a seasoned garlic powder on all but one of the jowls, and something different on the bellies. When I took everything out, the jowls with the garlic had developed a fuzzy mold, the bellies were fine.

Hmmm, why would it do that? I noticed the jowls were a lot fattier than the bellies. Since I've never done jowls before, I had no idea what to expect.

Ideas/comments

Your fridge is too warm, is my guess... Smoked meat should not grow mold... Did you have the meat wrapped in plastic while in the refer ??? That could be a problem also... Unwrapped meat will dehydrate... no moisture, no mold....

Sounds too warm. I keep mine at 37. And it could also be the fattier jowls will take longer to cure than the belly based on fat content.

Frig around 42deg.

Check it with a thermometer... It's too warm at 42....
A glass of water in the refer... then use a digital therm to check the water temp...
One glass on the top shelf... One glass on the bottom shelf... or check it over a week or 2... End of day after it's been opened and closed many times and in the morning when it's been closed all night.... OK, take notes when you get up for a nighttime snack... factor that in...

Therm I have taped inside my refer... I think the refer is colder than that... I have it set to 38 deg. F... If I turn it down to 36, my ice maker freezes up... THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN MORE THAN TWICE !!!! So 38 it is....

Refer Therm.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky