Bacon flavours

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fatboy240

Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
Morning to the group, looking at doing some bacon, again, but have been doing EQ method, with good results, but looking for some new flavours to try, have just been doing maple and some pepper, and how do I go about adding the new flavours to the EQ method, thanks for everyone s time

Attachments

• 4FBBE1FF-D6DB-4C81-B454-71552E118200.jpeg
    4FBBE1FF-D6DB-4C81-B454-71552E118200.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: jcoleman66
Morning to the group, looking at doing some bacon, again, but have been doing EQ method, with good results, but looking for some new flavours to try, have just been doing maple and some pepper, and how do I go about adding the new flavours to the EQ method, thanks for everyone s time
Are you doing it dry or as a brine? There's so many things that could be added... if you like spicy you can go with a jalapeno or even red pepper flakes... White pepper is a little more spicier than black pepper.. you could go with garlic infused as well.. I'm betting garlic and black pepper would be fabulous

Reactions: fatboy240
I always just go with CBP, but the garlic does sound good. I think the next time I make bacon I will add some granulated garlic to the pepper.
Al

I make a garlic stuffed pulled pork that SP for a rub... so it's gotta be a good combo for bacon right? HAHA

I use a dry EQ cure and I almost always add cracked black pepper and roasted garlic powder and crushed bay leaf (not powdered) when curing. After the rinse and soak, I add more cracked pepper before resting for pellicle formation. Sometimes a new layer of roasted garlic powder.

I'm a believer that some seasonings can't penetrate very far because of the size of their molecules. I've made spicy bacon with cayenne or Pendery's Temper Temper. I've used fenugreek to simulate a maple sugar flavor. A buddy makes an annual order from a butcher shop in the midwest and they have a garlic bacon that is amazing. I believe they must have some kind of garlic flavored injection because the flavor goes all the way through.

I use a dry EQ cure and I almost always add cracked black pepper and roasted garlic powder and crushed bay leaf (not powdered) when curing. After the rinse and soak, I add more cracked pepper before resting for pellicle formation. Sometimes a new layer of roasted garlic powder.

I'm a believer that some seasonings can't penetrate very far because of the size of their molecules. I've made spicy bacon with cayenne or Pendery's Temper Temper. I've used fenugreek to simulate a maple sugar flavor. A buddy makes an annual order from a butcher shop in the midwest and they have a garlic bacon that is amazing. I believe they must have some kind of garlic flavored injection because the flavor goes all the way through.

There may be an advantage to a wet brine in that jalapeno or garlic juice can be added to the liquid and penetrate? Might be time for some more experiments.

Are you doing it dry or as a brine? There's so many things that could be added... if you like spicy you can go with a jalapeno or even red pepper flakes... White pepper is a little more spicier than black pepper.. you could go with garlic infused as well.. I'm betting garlic and black pepper would be fabulous
Iam doing dry rub , EQ method

iam doing dry rub using the eq method

Reactions: kilo charlie
Well 12 lbs I just finished , 6 lbs maple and black pepper, and 6 lbs jack daniels and garlic, both turned out tasty but one with jack daniel you have to watch when cooking wants to burn

Attachments

• F5D94A06-C2E6-40D9-B08E-0E47B2DE9533.jpeg
    F5D94A06-C2E6-40D9-B08E-0E47B2DE9533.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 82CA5CB0-2B02-490A-932E-52850455CF1F.jpeg
    82CA5CB0-2B02-490A-932E-52850455CF1F.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Hamdrew
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky