BACON (Extra Smoky)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bear or anyone that has done it, is it a significant price difference buying the bacon and doing it yourself? Just wondering if anyone has compared the price.

I haven't checked lately, but I'm sure it's still quite a bit cheaper to make your own, provided you get a fair price for the raw belly to start with.
However I believe anyone who has done a good job in making their own "Home cured & Smoked Bacon", would do it even if the cost was the same, because it would be Soooooooo Much Better Tasting!!

Bear

A little late to the party, just saw this. I wonder if at this point, with 2 out of 3 bags leaking, I think I would abandon the dry brine and move the bellies into an equilibrium wet brine like Pop's to finish.

I never thought about that, but I think that would be the perfect "Fix" for that particular situation!! That should make it finish with not too much cure, but enough.
Wish I'd have though of it when the problem arose.

Thank You Doug,

Bear

Last edited:
First crack at Bears recipe. I had to the soak the bacon for a hour to get the salt taste to my liking. Success for sure!

Looks Great, Ishi!!!
Nice Bacon & Sammy!
I've never had any salty Bacon from my method, using TQ.
However There are numerous reasons it could be salty.
Here are just 2 common ones;
Not using enough Sugar to counter the salt in the TQ.
Curing too long. You can cure too long when Dry Curing with TQ. It's not the same as Brine Curing with #1 Cure.

Bear

I have not done bellies since we use to butcher our own hogs. But I do Bears Canadian bacon all the time and the cost difference is major. Bacon runs from 5 to 7 dollars a pound you can buy pork loin for less than 2 dollars a pound average about 15 to 18 dollars for a whole loin. You will get 9 to 10 pound of Canadian bacon and its home made.

Warren

Looks Great, Ishi!!!
Nice Bacon & Sammy!
I've never had any salty Bacon from my method, using TQ.
However There are numerous reasons it could be salty.
Here are just 2 common ones;
Not using enough Sugar to counter the salt in the TQ.
Curing too long. You can cure too long when Dry Curing with TQ. It's not the same as Brine Curing with #1 Cure.

Bear
This slab cured 10 days. I used 2 Tbs Dark Brown Sugar. I’m getting ready to start another slab. Any suggestions on the next one. I’m learning this stuff and it’s a blast so I’ll take more advice :) One thing this stuff tastes way better then store bought bacon for sure.

This slab cured 10 days. I used 2 Tbs Dark Brown Sugar. I’m getting ready to start another slab. Any suggestions on the next one. I’m learning this stuff and it’s a blast so I’ll take more advice :) One thing this stuff tastes way better then store bought bacon for sure.

I don't know how thick yours was but The 10 days should have been Fine.
I don't know how heavy your Belly was, but 2 TBS was good for 2 or 3 pounds.
I use Light Brown, but I don't know if that would matter---I never used Dark Brown.

Bear

A little late to the party, just saw this. I wonder if at this point, with 2 out of 3 bags leaking, I think I would abandon the dry brine and move the bellies into an equilibrium wet brine like Pop's to finish.
I actually finished the cure in the bags, and everything turned out just fine. Very little liquid came out of the bag. Biggest adjustment I have made moving forward is using 2 1/2 gallon bags instead of 1 gallon bags. I've done several batches since, and they have all turned out very well.
I have used the pops brine method in the past as well, but everyone seems to prefer the dry brine method better.

I actually finished the cure in the bags, and everything turned out just fine. Very little liquid came out of the bag. Biggest adjustment I have made moving forward is using 2 1/2 gallon bags instead of 1 gallon bags. I've done several batches since, and they have all turned out very well.
I have used the pops brine method in the past as well, but everyone seems to prefer the dry brine method better.

Thank You for the Update, JZ!!
I prefer the TQ Dry Cure Bacon too.

Bear

I’m getting ready to start another slab. Any suggestions on the next one.
Maybe you started it already , but the last BBB i did , I left out the brown sugar . I like it like that .

I should have stated the fact said below about balance to the salt .

Last edited:
Yeah I know that it is there to counter the salt , and almost said that when I posted . I should have , because I would hate to mess him up .

Ish ,,, don't listen to me ! LOL .
The BBB I just did was TQ only . No sugars . Gets a good rinse , no soak .

I picked up two bellies (8.1# and 11.6#) at my sort of local slaughterhouse/butcher. Cost this time was $2.30/lb. Usually they are around $2.80-3.00 so I am feeling smart. I will need get these into the cure this weekend because the tomatoes are coming along nicely. This will be my first go at "Extra Smokey." I'm probably going to use cherry.
_DSC0057.JPG _DSC0059.JPG

Yeah I know that it is there to counter the salt , and almost said that when I posted . I should have , because I would hate to mess him up .

Ish ,,, don't listen to me ! LOL .
The BBB I just did was TQ only . No sugars . Gets a good rinse , no soak .
No worries! Second belly two days into the cure. Per bears advice the sugar amount was increased. I will smoke it next weekend.
F32403B8-6F67-49A7-903F-49D50C4BA737.jpeg

I picked up two bellies (8.1# and 11.6#) at my sort of local slaughterhouse/butcher. Cost this time was $2.30/lb. Usually they are around $2.80-3.00 so I am feeling smart. I will need get these into the cure this weekend because the tomatoes are coming along nicely. This will be my first go at "Extra Smokey." I'm probably going to use cherry.
View attachment 370694 View attachment 370695

Sounds Great, Braz!!
That's really a good price!
Gotta have it ready by the time them Tomatoes are ready---Can't keep a fresh Juicy Mater waiting!!
Just yell if you run into a question. I answer all Private messages.

Bear

No worries! Second belly two days into the cure. Per bears advice the sugar amount was increased. I will smoke it next weekend.

Great !!
After curing, just give it a real good rinse & hand rub under spigot. The slippery feel on the surface is due mostly to the surface salt.
Then take a couple interior slices for your salt-fry test. Check that the inside is Pink all the way to center to show complete cure. Then if the test comes out salty, soak to remedy.
90% of mine need no soaking, and I never had to soak any more than 1 hour. Usually a good rinse is sufficient.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky