Bacon egg cheese biscuits

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Well biscuits are kind of a pain but every time I make them I’m reminded how good they are!

INGREDIENTS

3 cups (15 ounces) King Arthur all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons sugar

4 teaspoons Baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

1 ½ teaspoons salt

16 tablespoons (2 sticks) Unsalted butter frozen for 30 minutes if not hard

1 ¼ cups buttermilk, chilled

INSTRUCTIONS
Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in large bowl. Coat sticks of butter in flour mixture, then grate 7 tablespoons from each stick on large holes of box grater directly into flour mixture. Toss gently to combine. Set aside remaining 2 tablespoons butter.

Add buttermilk to flour mixture and fold with spatula until just combined (dough will look dry). Transfer dough to liberally floured counter. Dust surface of dough with flour; using your floured hands, press dough into rough 7-inch square.

Roll dough into 12 by 9-inch rectangle with short side parallel to edge of counter. Starting at bottom of dough, fold into thirds like business letter, using bench scraper or metal spatula to release dough from counter. Press top of dough firmly to seal folds. Turn dough 90 degrees clockwise. Repeat rolling into 12 by 9-inch rectangle, folding into thirds, and turning clockwise 4 more times, for total of 5 sets of folds. After last set of folds, roll dough into 8 1/2-inch square about 1 inch thick. Transfer dough to prepared sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.

Transfer dough to lightly floured cutting board. Using sharp, floured chef’s knife, trim 1/4 inch of dough from each side of square and discard. Cut remaining dough into 9 squares, flouring knife after each cut. Arrange biscuits at least 1 inch apart on sheet. Melt reserved butter; brush tops of biscuits with melted butter.

Bake until tops are golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking. Transfer biscuits to wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.

26941769-E5D2-4E2E-AA22-A6892531C764.jpeg

419505C8-CF28-43B8-AE3E-32BFD14C67D0.jpeg

D3F25011-DA9A-4282-A917-4EEF7337A115.jpeg

6C53965A-8904-4E98-9AA3-5083002EFD8C.jpeg

DCF32D04-F7E9-4B6F-A5F4-BE88A5D70012.jpeg

3690C1FB-FBC3-49EE-A22F-1A945C82639B.jpeg

OH MY GOD!! The sandwich itself looks amazing but those biscuits are to die for!! Excellent job.

Robert

Square biscuits are my favorite. I'm following your recipe right up to part about cutting into 9 squares. How did you end up with an odd number?

Square biscuits are my favorite. I'm following your recipe right up to part about cutting into 9 squares. How did you end up with an odd number?
Well if you roll into a square and not a rectangle you can cut into thirds each way.
As you can see I rolled this into a rectangle and cut into 8ths which is really what I normally end up with . I also don’t trim the Sides or ends. Since I’m not selling them I want all the biscuit I can get. Occasionally I will cut them out with a round cutter. I’ll take all the scrap that’s left and make one weird biscuit. I call that the chefs biscuit. Chef eats it right out of the oven!

OH MY GOD!! The sandwich itself looks amazing but those biscuits are to die for!! Excellent job.

Robert
Thank you! The biscuits turn out great every time using this recipe.

It was really good. Love bacon egg cheese biscuits !

Well if you roll into a square and not a rectangle you can cut into thirds each way.
As you can see I rolled this into a rectangle and cut into 8ths which is really what I normally end up with . I also don’t trim the Sides or ends. Since I’m not selling them I want all the biscuit I can get. Occasionally I will cut them out with a round cutter. I’ll take all the scrap that’s left and make one weird biscuit. I call that the chefs biscuit. Chef eats it right out of the oven!
I didn't think of starting with a square, duh...

A video of the rollout process for those of us non-bakers would be awesome
I don’t do video cooks. But you out the lump of dough on a floured surface and wrong your hands form a 6x9 or so rectangle. Then with a floured rolling pin start at the middle and go out to the edge. Come back to the middle and roll to opposite edge. The repeat 90 degrees . I do this until the dough is about 3/8” thick. Then fold one third into the middle. Fold the other third over the too of that. Repeat the roll out process again. Then fold again .do this a minimum of 4 times. The more folds and roll steps you do the more layers you’ll create. I did these a total of six times. On the final roll you want the dough to be about 3/4”-1” thick.

Looks great Case. Gonna have to try them. We have ALOT of eggs.

Dang Case I sure could have put a couple of those away for breakfast this morning they look great

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky