Bacon cure time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AmandaW0708

Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
Hello all, fairly new to bacon. I have done 6 bellies. I have 8 more curing. Here's my concern:
We had a small pig this year (150lb). The belly was only 1/2" or so thick. I dry cure and it calls for 7 days per inch. I think my husband may have taken the belly out too early. It's in the smoker now, but I am curious if it will still be good or if it should be tossed because it didnt cure for long enough? Or is it ok since it's being smoked and then will be cooked before being eaten?

Best procedure is to cut into the belly about 2" from the end and check to see if there is any uncured areas (cooked gray pork vs. cooked bacon color). If so, it was not cured long enough for the cure to reach the centermost part of the belly. As long it is still fresh, you can cook it anyways; just a small part will not have a bacon flavor, more like a cooked pork flavor. Still all good. This is Canadian bacon not cured long enough:
uncured cured pork.jpeg

This has the added burden that it may have spoiled without the benefit of the cure preserving it. A taste test would determine it's viability as to its condition whether it is good or not. Tastes like roast pork? Then it's ok. Tastes sour? Throw it out.

Reactions: Wood Chunk Chick
It was in for 4 days. I'm just nervous about some of the thicker spots. We butchered last Sunday, had it cured by mid-day Wednesday. Rinsed and put back in fridge on Sunday and smoked this evening (just getting to temp now).

FWIW, I have found 2 weeks gives really good flavor... I've tried 7, 10 days dry cure time.. Seems to me the depth of flavor increases with time.. I'm looking for a finished product you can't get in the local store... Patience will be rewarded..

Reactions: chopsaw
I would say you are good curing a 1/2" thick piece of meat for only 4 days. Assuming you used a dry cure and sealed it in a bag. I routinely cure 1/2" thick slabs of pork butt to make tasso, and they are cured throughout with only 12 hours in the cure...

Here is a cross cut pic. of tasso cured for 8~10 hours then smoked:
dsc02507-jpg.352386

Remember that the cure is infusing from both sides. And cure travels faster near the surface. Also, heat accelerates cure penetration. You should be good.

*Edit to add:
the clear lines you see are cooked fat.

You should be fine. Even if no cure reached the center the possibility of a refrigerated belly spoiling in a week is extremely remote...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky