• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Bacon Cure time question

mrad

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 27, 2012
Is two weeks to long to cure a pork belly between 1.5 and 2" thick? I put a dry cure run on it about 9 days ago. As I was getting ready to head out of town for the weekend, I realized I still had the pork belly curing in a vac sealed bag.

Will an additional 3-4 days cause an issue?

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
I always go 2 weeks or longer.
Richie

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
No, 2 weeks shouldn't hurt.
However if you Dry Cure with TQ, I wouldn't want to cure for much longer than that.
It could get quite a bit more salty.
Be good to give it a "Salt-Fry-Test" to check for salt flavor, in case it needs some soaking.

Bear

mrad

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 27, 2012
Thanks. No tender-quick was used. Instead I used Cure #1

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
If you used Cure #1 and Salt by percentage of the belly weight, it don't matter how many week it sits. It can never get any saltier then the percent you added...JJ

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
If you used Cure #1 and Salt by percentage of the belly weight, it don't matter how many week it sits. It can never get any saltier then the percent you added...JJ

True!

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I always go 2 weeks.
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.