Bacon cure question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
I have about 20 lbs of belly to cure and found an old recipe that was given to me several years ago while I was just lurking on SMF. I tried figuring out the percentage of cure in it to no avail. Even went and searched posts by daveomak daveomak when he was helping others and still no luck.

16 oz kosher salt
8 oz brown sugar
2 oz pink salt
Use 2 oz / 5 lb belly

Not sure if I'm gonna use this recipe, will most likely do some using Bearcarver Bearcarver using tenderquick and some in pops6927 pops6927 brine. We like both, but still want to know if it's within safe levels of cure 1.

Thanks
Ryan

Those quantities look too high for a "dry" cure. Use a cure calculator to make your life easier. Here's a good one, but there are plenty of others: http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html
Ya I looked at that, but the part that had me scratching my head was the 2 oz / 5 lb of belly of that mix. The cure calculator from diggingdogfarm diggingdogfarm figures everything for a certain weight of a piece of meat

Ryan

Are you sure that isn't 0.2 oz of cure ??
One teaspoon equals approx 0.167 oz.
If you are going to go by teaspoons, typically 1 level teaspoon of cure #1 per 5lbs of meat.

The recipe I got is as posted, but since I couldn't figure out the percentage of cure it uses that's why I'm asking

Ryan

I would stick with recipes from pops, Bear, Disco or Dave. That's just my 2¢.
Thank you also! And that's what I had planned since we know we like them. Just got it in my head to try and figure it out and can't. Would almost think I had OCD or CDO as some of my friends do, and I'm far from either! Lol

Thank you all, I appreciate it
Ryan

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
At Dave's %0.25...You multiply the weight of the meat, in ounces or Grams X .0025. That is the amount of Cure #1 needed.
5lbs × 16 = 80oz ×.0025 = 0.20 oz of Cure #1
Going percent by weight is simple...JJ

Thank you also! And that's what I had planned since we know we like them. Just got it in my head to try and figure it out and can't. Would almost think I had OCD or CDO as some of my friends do, and I'm far from either! Lol

Thank you all, I appreciate it
Ryan

You're welcome and no problem.
Better to be safe than poison yourself and loved ones.
And I say that as a certified CRS sufferer. :emoji_laughing:

At Dave's %0.25...You multiply the weight of the meat, in ounces or Grams X .0025. That is the amount of Cure #1 needed.
5lbs × 16 = 80oz ×.0025 = 0.20 oz of Cure #1
Going percent by weight is simple...JJ
Thank you jj! I appreciate it.

Ryan

Cure #1... 1.1 grams per pound.... 0.25%
Salt.... 6.8 grams per pound.... 1.5%
Sugar..... 4.5 grams per pound.... 1%

A good starting point... adjust on your next batch....

Mix the above and uniformly spread over the meat... Zip bag it.... turn daily for 2 weeks while in the refer at 38 deg. F....

Cure #1... 1.1 grams per pound.... 0.25%
Salt.... 6.8 grams per pound.... 1.5%
Sugar..... 4.5 grams per pound.... 1%

A good starting point... adjust on your next batch....

Mix the above and uniformly spread over the meat... Zip bag it.... turn daily for 2 weeks while in the refer at 38 deg. F....
Thank you Dave, I appreciate it!

Ryan

I have about 20 lbs of belly to cure and found an old recipe that was given to me several years ago while I was just lurking on SMF. I tried figuring out the percentage of cure in it to no avail. Even went and searched posts by daveomak daveomak when he was helping others and still no luck.

16 oz kosher salt
8 oz brown sugar
2 oz pink salt
Use 2 oz / 5 lb belly

Not sure if I'm gonna use this recipe, will most likely do some using Bearcarver Bearcarver using tenderquick and some in pops6927 pops6927 brine. We like both, but still want to know if it's within safe levels of cure 1.

Thanks
Ryan

Pink Salt isn't my Thing, However I would think "Your Old Recipe" should be .2 oz of Pink Salt, for those 5 pounds of Belly.

Bear

Pink Salt isn't my Thing, However I would think "Your Old Recipe" should be .2 oz of Pink Salt, for those 5 pounds of Belly.

Bear
Thank you bear! Always a big help

2 oz. = 57 grams.... WAY TOO MUCH...
Bear is spot on...
Thank you Dave, you are always a wealth of knowledge!

Maybe I didn't explain it properly and for that I'm sorry. It's a big batch...454 gr salt, 227 gr sugar, 56.7 gr cure # 1 = 737.7 grams total mixed together. Then using 56.7 gr of that mix / 5 lb of belly... not 56.7 gr of cure / 5 lb. That recipe should do 12, (5lb) batches. Using diggingdog s cure calculator 800.7 oz (50.04 lbs) meat requires 2 oz cure, 14.14 oz salt, 8 oz sugar.
So now that my nod headed brain is satisfied I'm gonna use bear's recipe, and pops, and might try Dave's recipe to see how we like it in comparison

Thank you all again!
Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky