Backwoods Chubby G2....or similar?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clubmanager

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 19, 2020
Have to admit, I'm all over the place on choosing a Smoker! After a lot of consideration, I think (keyword, think) I want a charcoal smoker that I can walk away from for 8 hours or longer. I've stumbled on the Backwoods Smokers and really like the G2 Chubby but curious about a couple of things.....
1. Does it feed charcoal via gravity?
2. Can I use lump wood or just charcoal only?
3. Can I load enough to walk away for 8 hours?
And lastly, considering all the above, is there a better choice?

Ideally, I'd like to smoke 3-4 Briskets at one time, use a full sized steam pan/half hotel pan....and to the extent I'm able, American Made.

I've used electric and propane smokers but in both cases, could only load a small amount of wood at a time. I only currently have a Masterbuilt vertical smoker but want something larger/better and more inline with my needs as listed above. I'll keep it for backup I suppose....it ended up being free so...;)

If any of my questions are straight-up dumb, I'll apologize in advance. I think 'I know just enough to know that I don't know' as the saying goes.

1. Does it feed charcoal via gravity? YES... edit... Upon further review... NO this is not a gravity fed smoker
2. Can I use lump wood or just charcoal only? MIXTURE from what I have read
3. Can I load enough to walk away for 8 hours? NOT SURE... Web site says 8-12 hours

I do not have a GF (gravity feed) .. But I have looked into them a few times...

Last edited:
Reactions: clubmanager
This is from their website:

Have to admit, I'm all over the place on choosing a Smoker! After a lot of consideration, I think (keyword, think) I want a charcoal smoker that I can walk away from for 8 hours or longer. I've stumbled on the Backwoods Smokers and really like the G2 Chubby but curious about a couple of things.....
1. Does it feed charcoal via gravity?
2. Can I use lump wood or just charcoal only?
3. Can I load enough to walk away for 8 hours?
And lastly, considering all the above, is there a better choice?

Ideally, I'd like to smoke 3-4 Briskets at one time, use a full sized steam pan/half hotel pan....and to the extent I'm able, American Made.

I've used electric and propane smokers but in both cases, could only load a small amount of wood at a time. I only currently have a Masterbuilt vertical smoker but want something larger/better and more inline with my needs as listed above. I'll keep it for backup I suppose....it ended up being free so...;)

If any of my questions are straight-up dumb, I'll apologize in advance. I think 'I know just enough to know that I don't know' as the saying goes.
The charcoal is in a drawer behind the bottom door, there is no feed system.
I find that charcoal burns more consistently, but I have used lump in the past.
Yes, if you set the airflow to hold the temp around 225-250, and you use decent charcoal, (I prefer B&B briquettes), this thing will run for 10-12 hours. You will need to re-fill the water pan before the fire goes out. I have a Fatboy and have smoked multiple briskets at once.
Good luck!

Many of charcoal cabinets with fire basket can still be hands off. My 270 smoker will run a good 8-10 hours without me doing a thing once dialed in. I do like to toss in a wood chunk or two form time to time but it’s overall hands off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky