Back to square one

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a pre "S" model 640 Yoder and it is a solid performer. has been for 3-4 years. The LSG pellet cooker is top of the line workmanship/materials. I have heard nothing but good about the food they product. Yes, it is a long wait and shipping is $$.
I purchased an LSG Large Cabinet smoker 2 years ago and ouch the price hurt and the wait long but I believe in cry once and get what you want. I have not looked back or regretted my purchase.

Reactions: MrAhmerGamer
First of all there is no such thing as a forever pellet grill......

I had (still have) a Memphis Wood Fire grill for a very long time, it is full stainless body (probably last forever), but after 11 years of service the electronics and fire pot reach the end of life..... so I went down the path of replacement parts or wanting the best race horse there is.......but then I did the time value of money thing and after that math I had a Recteq 1250 sitting on my driveway 7 days later and since then have been spending money on meat to smoke!

Since I have a GM grill as well, I can tell you that the Recteq is a step up from the GM and with a full 6 year warrantee its very difficult to over look........So now that I have cooked on it, ie burned through 280 lbs ish of pellets since I got it in October (so I burn 50 - 60 lbs a month) and I can tell you it simply works! Oh it also works better than my Memphis and I paid almost 50% more for the Memphis 11 years previously...It also puts a much better smoke profile as well. The 1250 also has many upgrades over the others....IE 3 rpm auger (faster heat up (7 min to 225) and up to 700 ish deg), duel band wifi (fixes past connection issues), conduit electronics, heavy duty front shelf, lid drip edge, porcelain cast iron deflector, slide out bottom self, slide out upper shelf. The only thing I would change on the 1250 is one more position for the top shelf that is 3" above the bottom shelf, like the BFG has....

All that said I have many smokers/wood cookers and if I could only have one it would be the RT...... Furthermore, the other grills you are looking at are all very nice grills and work very good (I would be very happy with any of them)......ie there is a seat for everyone in the bar!

Good luck on your search and whatever you get just enjoy it!

Last edited:
"Made in the USA
MAK Grills are truly “Made in America.” In fact, in July of 2013 we became the first—and to this day only pellet grill manufacturer—to be in the Made in the USA Hall of Fame!

This is a fundamental part of who we are and will never change.

Many former “made in America” brands have moved manufacturing offshore. Others import materials and components but assemble them here so they can still make the claim. In doing so, they often sacrifice reliable quality standards. If you’re charged the cost of American parts and manufacturing, you should be able to expect the benefits they bring, without worrying about delays in production and gaps in supply lines due to viral pandemics.

Our grills aren’t just assembled here. We domestically source our materials, many from right here in Oregon. Components like our auger, auger motor, and K-Style Industrial Thermocouple Meat Probes are made in the USA to our exact specifications. Our Pellet Boss Controller is designed, tested, and built within driving distance of our shop in Dallas, Oregon, where all of our grills are made. Even our hats are fully made in the USA by a veteran-friendly company that also manufactures caps for branches of the United States armed forces.

It’s something we take seriously. As a small business in a small community we know how important it is to preserve American manufacturing and gainful employment opportunities. As a precision sheet metal manufacturer that is very proud of our product, we refuse to compromise quality by outsourcing. That’s why we were Made in the USA Certified in 2011."

Even the hex key set they send to assemble the grill says "Made in the USA"
🤔 Wonder if the 5 month wait has anything to do with computer chips in the electronics???

Reactions: sandyut
Sorry don't want to step on toes but the Mak doesn't interest me at all. Don't like the design and it's too small.
The MAK is too small? The main grill is 429 SQ" and you can put three more on top of that. You can probably cook 6 briskets or more in a MAK. Unless you have a pretty big crowd, the MAK is more than big enough for backyard cooking with about 25 of your closest friends. Plus, the materials are truly first rate, thick steel and all made in the USA. Their customer service is first rate. And unlike most pellet grills, they actually give you a good smoke flavor. I have 6 cookers, and the MAK turns out smoke rings and smoke flavor in all meats to rival my stick burner and charcoal burners. I doubted pellet cookers until I got a MAK.

is an afterthought for them and 1 damn meat probe what’s up wi

The MAK is too small? The main grill is 429 SQ" and you can put three more on top of that. You can probably cook 6 briskets or more in a MAK. Unless you have a pretty big crowd, the MAK is more than big enough for backyard cooking with about 25 of your closest friends. Plus, the materials are truly first rate, thick steel and all made in the USA. Their customer service is first rate. And unlike most pellet grills, they actually give you a good smoke flavor. I have 6 cookers, and the MAK turns out smoke rings and smoke flavor in all meats to rival my stick burner and charcoal burners. I doubted pellet cookers until I got a MAK.

I was thinking the same thing. I actually fit 8 racks of babybacks on my 2-Star and could have fit another 3 more if I wanted to. Can't chnage the looks though if the OP hates the look. But as far as forever grill, MAK will make the newer parts backwards compatible to allow for upgrades.

Still trying to decide on a new Pellet smoker. My GMG still performing but want a forever top of the line grill. I thought I wanted a Yoder or maybe a Pitts and Spitts but then decided on the Lonestar Grillz 20x40. Talked to Chris and the wait time is better than 5 months and shipping is $550 just can’t justify waiting and spending better than $4,000 so back to the drawing board. Damn I really wanted that smoker too. And yes I looked hard at Rec Teq but feel I would be settling.
So what did you end up getting? And why not the Yoder?

Biggest difference from the GMG is the incredible even smoking, no burnt spots.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky