Back (Canadian) Bacon, Wet Vs Dry Cure and video

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great. I have a question on the 2:10 minute mark of the video. not sure I understood correctly

Here is a question ( don't mean to hi-jack thread ) but two very knowledgeable people already here. What's best, add spices to a dry cure when it first starts the curing, or is there more flavor after curing when adding a rub before smoking?
I'm with Bear for both the wet cure and dry cure. If I am adding chipotle, ground pepper, or other dry seasonings, I put them on before the pellicle forms. That being said, I have forgotten and put it on after the pellicle formed and it still worked.

Disco can give you what he does for both Dry Cure & Wet Cure.
All I can give you is what I do with my Dry Cure:
I put my measured amount of Tender Quick on the pieces of Meat, and the Brown Sugar that goes with it. That is my curing mix, and it goes in the Bag for the prescribed amount of time to cure.
Then after curing & rinsing, that's when I put my CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder on the surface, so when the "Pellicle" forms, it helps those seasonings stick fast while I'm smoking it.

Bear
Thanks Bear, I see Disco is in agreement with you as well. I never thought of doing it that stage of the process. I had waited until the pellicle had formed and surface was tacky enough to take seasonings. I will give it a shot as soon as the latest slab is ready to go.

Slainte

Thanks Bear, I see Disco is in agreement with you as well. I never thought of doing it that stage of the process. I had waited until the pellicle had formed and surface was tacky enough to take seasonings. I will give it a shot as soon as the latest slab is ready to go.

Slainte

Yup---Give it a try.
The seasonings seem to tack up within the sticky pellicle this way.

Bear

I've been doing the wet cure in the past for CB. This time around I got 7 pounds started with the dry cure method. Anxious to see the results!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky