Back (Canadian) Bacon, Wet Vs Dry Cure and video

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
There was a good confluence of events. Whole pork loins were on sale and I was heading to visit relatives in Alberta. I take a lot of bacon for the family when I go to visit.

I had also had a couple of requests to do a wet cure, brined bacon.

I decided to do 4 loin pieces to make back (erroneously called Canadian bacon in the US). I would do two dry cured and two wet cured for a head to head taste. I have done this before but it has been years.

I started by mixing my standard dry cure mix for one loin, for each kg of weight I use:
  • 25 ml brown sugar
  • 15 ml kosher salt
  • 3 grams (2.1 ml) Prague powder #1
In US measures for each pound:
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/5 teaspoon Prague powder #1
For the second loin, I mixed a maple sugar cure mix which is the same but I substituted maple sugar for the brown sugar.

Wet cure 01.jpg

I injected the maple loin with 25 ml of maple syrup per kg (1 tablespoon per pound).

Wet cure 02.jpg

I put each piece of pork loin on a plate to catch any rub that falls off. I rubbed the curing mix into each piece of loin.

Wet cure 03.jpg

I put each piece of loin into a vacuum sealer bag and made sure to scrape the plate into the bag.

Wet cure 04.jpg

I sealed the other end of the bag but did not suck the air out.

Wet cure 05.jpg

Then I started on the two wet brined loins.

I weighed the loins.

Wet cure 06.jpg

I added a measured amount of water and calculated the combined weight of the water and pork.

Wet cure 07.jpg

I took the pork out and for each kilogram of pork and water I added to the water:
  • 25 ml brown sugar
  • 15 ml kosher salt
  • 2.1 ml (3 grams) Prague powder #1
In US Measures for each pound of pork and water
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/5 teaspoon Prague powder #1
I stirred until dissolved added the meat and put a plate on top.

Wet cure 09.jpg

The thickest piece of pork was 2 1/2 inches thick. I allow 4 days curing time plus 2 days for each inch of thickness. So I covered the wet cure and put all the bacon in the fridge for 12 days. I turned the bags and the bacon in the brine every day or so.

I took the bacon out and applied a coating of pepper to one of the wet cure loins.

Wet cure 10.jpg

I put a fan on the loins and let them sit until the surface was dry. Then I smoked them to 140 F internal temperature in a 190 F smoker. The bacon isn't cooked at this temperature so it must be fried before eating. You can take it to 150 F and it will be cooked but I find that has a slightly worse texture on cooking.

Wet cure 11.jpg

I cooled the bacon and wrapped it in plastic wrap. I let it sit for a couple of days.

Wet cure 12.jpg

I sliced the bacon with my rotary slicer.

Wet cure 13.jpg

Wet cure 15.jpg

I fried a piece of each loin:

Wet cure 16.jpg

Left to right is the dry cured Maple Bacon, dry cured bacon, wet cured Pepper Bacon and wet cured bacon.

Wet cure 17.jpg

I also did a video of making the wet cure bacon.

The Verdict

First, all of the bacon was great. The differences I am about to describe were minor.

The dry cure was a bit pinker but that can be explained by the piece of pork as they vary.

The dry cure was firmer and had more chew. The wet cure was softer and didn't crisp as much.

The taste of the dry cure is a bit more salt forward and the wet cure was a bit sweeter.

I still like the dry cure better but the differences are minor. If you prefer a tender bacon, you will prefer the wet cure.

Disco

Attachments

• Wet cure 08.jpg
    Wet cure 08.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 23
Great post and review Disco. One day I will post as good as you.

looks great, Canadian rockies is a beautiful area, my sister lives in Calgary and years ago while visiting her we went sking in the rockies, mountains are just a little bigger then the ones around here where I live. (should say a whole lot bigger)

looks great, Canadian rockies is a beautiful area, my sister lives in Calgary and years ago while visiting her we went sking in the rockies, mountains are just a little bigger then the ones around here where I live. (should say a whole lot bigger)
Thanks! I do love our mountain home!

The Canadian bacon (back bacon) master strikes again. Nice post great write up Disco. I've always do the dry cure per Bears recipe but the wet cure sounds interesting.

Warren

D, Another awesome post and you have got me thinking about making up some "Canadian " bacon. :emoji_wink: like!

Get wth it! Thanks!

The Canadian bacon (back bacon) master strikes again. Nice post great write up Disco. I've always do the dry cure per Bears recipe but the wet cure sounds interesting.

Warren

I prefer dry cure as well but only by a little. They are very close. Thanks!

Nice looking Canadian bacon! Great tutorial and video as well.... Thank you for sharing, Disco! Like for sure!

I appreciate the like!

I discovered your Canadian bacon and buckboard bacon Videos on youtube. I had never made bacon prior to this and thought " hey, that looks easy" I was right it was. In a short time I have made several batches and even adventured into jalapeno bacon and all with great success thanks to your easy to follow instructions. You have turned me into a bacon hog and I in turn have several friends that have now ventured into this great hobby as well. Cheer's from Ontario.

I discovered your Canadian bacon and buckboard bacon Videos on youtube. I had never made bacon prior to this and thought " hey, that looks easy" I was right it was. In a short time I have made several batches and even adventured into jalapeno bacon and all with great success thanks to your easy to follow instructions. You have turned me into a bacon hog and I in turn have several friends that have now ventured into this great hobby as well. Cheer's from Ontario.
Thanks for the kind words, fellow Canadian!

Reactions: John_D
All looks Great, Disco!!
Your comparison ended up with the same results mine did, but you did yours like a Movie Star!! I'd break the camera!!
I can't do that---I got enough just Posting my Step by Steps.
Nice Job, Buddy!
Like.

Bear

All looks Great, Disco!!
Your comparison ended up with the same results mine did, but you did yours like a Movie Star!! I'd break the camera!!
I can't do that---I got enough just Posting my Step by Steps.
Nice Job, Buddy!
Like.

Bear
I don't know, Bear! The world could use an expert smoker movie!

Here is a question ( don't mean to hi-jack thread ) but two very knowledgeable people already here. What's best, add spices to a dry cure when it first starts the curing, or is there more flavor after curing when adding a rub before smoking?

Here is a question ( don't mean to hi-jack thread ) but two very knowledgeable people already here. What's best, add spices to a dry cure when it first starts the curing, or is there more flavor after curing when adding a rub before smoking?

Disco can give you what he does for both Dry Cure & Wet Cure.
All I can give you is what I do with my Dry Cure:
I put my measured amount of Tender Quick on the pieces of Meat, and the Brown Sugar that goes with it. That is my curing mix, and it goes in the Bag for the prescribed amount of time to cure.
Then after curing & rinsing, that's when I put my CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder on the surface, so when the "Pellicle" forms, it helps those seasonings stick fast while I'm smoking it.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky