Back at it …

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
Well, this is the first I’ve felt like doing anything I used to enjoy since my buddy passed. I thought maybe appropriate to do my first brisket in his honor (although he would have preferred dinosaur shape chicken nuggets 😁)

A Costco flat. A little olive oil and rub, just 2 parts coarse black pepper and 1 part kosher salt.
(Sorry, no ‘raw’ pics)
Onto the RecTeq for about 5 hr @ 225*F to get to IT 160*F
Notice the notch cut in the top of the photo. That points me in direction to cut perpendicular to the grain.
1664130639993.jpeg

Wrapped and into the (electric) Smokin-It @ 225*F to finish.
About 7.5 hr in now and IT at 185*F
Will start probing about 195*F

It’s hard feeling guilty as soon as you find yourself enjoying something.
Starting grief counseling tomorrow, hope it helps.
Almost looking forward to a cardiac procedure this week for a diversion.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Glad you getting back at it and getting some help.
That is a good looking brisket... nugget

Still thinking of you and your boy...it will get better as time heals all wounds. But the scar will remain. Brisket looks good, glad to see you back at it....don't forget to take care of yourself....cooking is therapy for me so if this is the same for you then keep doing it.

Glad to see you back. I'm sure he is looking down and still watching and learning like other things you taught him. Continued prayers to your family.

That brisket is looking beautiful!
Hang in there, you have a lot of friends on here, and your certainly in our prayers!
Al

Thanks guys … ups/downs and small baby steps but generally right direction.

After 12 hours I was exhausted and the cow refused to be defeated (aka probe-tender) so I just pulled and froze it. After the procedure this week probably will vacseal and reheat or try finishing sous vide or use in some other dishes.

oh well, not meant to hit a home run in first brisket-at-bat anyway.

I was much more successful making something for my daughter, probably belongs in my original thread.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky