Babyback rib help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

peeks

Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
Looking for any pointers and help i can get. Ill be smoking babyback ribs tomorrow for the first time so any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

My go to for baby backs is 2-2-1 with as much of Jeff's rub as I can get on the ribs.
Slather with regular yellow mustard to help the rub stick, cake on the rub, 1/3 cup apple juice in the foil, apply any BBQ sauce for the last hour, keep smoker at 230-240 with cherry wood when not in foil. Prepare to be famous among your friends and neighbors. Do a batch of Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans under the ribs if you really want to blow your mind.

​Night Fish has it right. Can't go wrong. Only difference when time for the foil second step of (2-2-1) I use orange juice to spray on the ribs and in the foil then seal ribs good to steam them. I thing the citric juice helps break them down. Just my theory.

Good luck.

​Night Fish has it right. Can't go wrong. Only difference when time for the foil second step of (2-2-1) I use orange juice to spray on the ribs and in the foil then seal ribs good to steam them. I thing the citric juice helps break them down. Just my theory.

Good luck.
Funny all the different methods I like to soak mine in DR Pepper overnight with the same reasoning , with that said I am doing 3 racks today and did not get them soaking last night so I am going to try injecting them with an apple juice garlic mixture . Guess I will see how that works ?

Looking for any pointers and help i can get. Ill be smoking babyback ribs tomorrow for the first time so any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
As you are probably discovering there are many methods, all successful to those who use them.  I would suggest starting simple, be attentive to your setup and process.  Nothing wrong with wrapping, many swear by it. Personally gave that up years ago, cuts into beer time 
icon_biggrin.gif

- First: do you truly know what your grate temps are vs what ever built-in therm is telling you?  The difference sometimes can be quite alarming.

- Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs, your choice to lightly coat with oil or not, use what ever rub you desire.

- To spray (and what with) every hour or so is again a choice. I use apple juice.

- Remember: 'if you're looking you ain't cooking'! Keep the lid CLOSED.

- Ribs take time, depending on temp & method 4-6 hours.

- Test for getting done: with a grate temp of 225° I usually start after 4 hrs or so. I recommend the bend. Pick up the rack with tongs from the end (just under half of the rack) and look for them to bend significantly showing with a break in the meat across the rack.  At this point you can sauce and let that set up for another 20-30 min before removing. 

- Results are very personal. Some want 'FOTBone' others look for a clean bite. For us, FOTB meat starts to diminish in flavor so we are in the 'clean bite' camp.

- keep notes, refer to them each time and update them.  

Good Luck!

Last edited:

As you are probably discovering there are many methods, all successful to those who use them.  I would suggest starting simple, be attentive to your setup and process.  Nothing wrong with wrapping, many swear by it. Personally gave that up years ago, cuts into beer time 
icon_biggrin.gif

- First: do you truly know what your grate temps are vs what ever built-in therm is telling you?  The difference sometimes can be quite alarming.

- Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs, your choice to lightly coat with oil or not, use what ever rub you desire.

- To spray (and what with) every hour or so is again a choice. I use apple juice.

- Remember: 'if you're looking you ain't cooking'! Keep the lid CLOSED.

- Ribs take time, depending on temp & method 4-6 hours.

- Test for getting done: with a grate temp of 225° I usually start after 4 hrs or so. I recommend the bend. Pick up the rack with tongs from the end (just under half of the rack) and look for them to bend significantly showing with a break in the meat across the rack.  At this point you can sauce and let that set up for another 20-30 min before removing. 

- Results are very personal. Some want 'FOTBone' others look for a clean bite. For us, FOTB meat starts to diminish in flavor so we are in the 'clean bite' camp.

- keep notes, refer to them each time and update them.  

Good Luck!
​Don't know level of experience Keeps has with ribs but yes removing the membrane from the back of the ribs is so important.

Good luck.
Funny all the different methods I like to soak mine in DR Pepper overnight with the same reasoning , with that said I am doing 3 racks today and did not get them soaking last night so I am going to try injecting them with an apple juice garlic mixture . Guess I will see how that works ?
Let us know how it turns out.

Looks good.  I agree.  Take notes.  Make adjustments and lean on these guys for help.  They know what they are talking about.  Just took their advice on some pork butt and finally got it "right".  Notes help for the search of perfection!!! I WILL FIND PERFECTION (small print- in my food and beer)!!!! HAHA

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky