BABY BACKS & BRATS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wasper

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 30, 2006
Paradise, CA.
I read a recipe on this site where someone used brats placed on the rack above the ribs to add flavor and moisture. I tried it a while back with the 3-2-1 method and the ribs were fantastic. However, the brats were like jerky.

When is a good time to place the brats in the smoker so they do their job on the ribs but still can be eaten?

Wasper

Wasper, the last time I smoked fresh Brats while doing ribs, I tossed them in about the time I unwrapped the ribs for the last hour. I pulled the ribs early and left the Brats in a bit over an hour-pulled them when the hit 155* deg. internal and the carryover heat while they where resting took them up to 165*. They could of used a bit more smoke but that was my fault-still tasted good. Even my 2 Beagles enjoyed the one that jumped off the platter. :roll: :D

Thanx Dutch & Larry for your input.

I don't use the foil wrap method any longer, everyone around here likes em bare. So Dutch, from your experience (and thanx loads) I will try the last 2 hours with the brats over the ribs. Of course, keeping a close watch on them. Would the two hours take the brats beyond 155* at 230-ish degrees?

Smoke Blower,
The bean trick sounds 'Gormet'. When do you introduce your beans below the ribs if you're going 6 hours on the ribs? I would think if they were put in at the start of 6 hours, there would be a great deal of 'Grease' dripping into the beans. What's your method?

Wasper,
I guess you are talking to me... :) However, you don't get as much grease from the ribs (if you do BBs), and I usually wrap my meat after about 4 hours. I really like the beans with the drippings from the boston butts, and you will be amazed at the difference in taste when you expose your beans to both smoke and pork drippings. I'll try to post a recipe that I really like.

Here you go:
Smoked Beans

1 can Bush's "original baked beans" The "big boy" #10 can. About a gallon.
2 large yellow onions; chopped
2/3 cup of your favorite bbq sauce
1 entire green bell pepper - diced
1 entire yellow bell pepper - diced
1 entire red bell pepper - diced
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup "sugar in the raw"
2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 cups pulled pork (save a quart back next time you cook a butt)
The pulled pork is a must include ingredient, don't skip it!
1/4 tspn fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tspn chili powder (I use fresh ground de Arbol)
1/4 lb uncooked bacon slices; cut into pieces
3 tspn Tabasco sauce

mix in disposable aluminum roasting pan and place in the smoker for about 6 hours.
4ef8669f_vbattach10761.jpg

Wasper, I think somehow you may have misread my post. What I was trying to say was that when I remove the foil from the ribs and return them to the smoker for the last hour of cooking time; that is when I put the Brats in. Two hours will really dry them out and make them look like charcoal dogs. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Thanx Dutch,

I was going to do them for the last 2 hours, you saved my butt. Tomorrow is the big bash for my wifes birthday and a burned piece of meat would have been most humiliating.

To my delight, I'm getting the 'blue thin smoke', it works great!.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky