Baby back rib advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Yjaytom

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 5, 2019
Hello all,
I am going to be making baby backs for company this evening, and it’s really windy here today, which complicates things. I run a small fan into my firebox to offset this, but I’m thinking of smoking for 2 or 3 hours, and then transferring to my oven to finish. Something like the 3-2-1 method, but probably finishing the last 2 steps(foiled then unwrapped) all in the oven. Thoughts or experience?
Using an Oklahoma Joe Highlander modified into a reverse flow and lump mesquite for fuel.
PS. $6.30 a lb for ribs?! I meat is expensive these days. Don’t want to mess this gold up!

Attachments

• 7304EE92-F4F5-40B7-B4B6-393DB730E43F.jpeg
    7304EE92-F4F5-40B7-B4B6-393DB730E43F.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: JLeonard
2-3 hours should provide plenty of smoke flavor and the wonderful mahogany color. Finishing in the oven in challenging conditions is not a problem.

Right on. Thank you. If weather permits, I’ll finish in the smoker, but need a back up plan.

Gotcha. Thank you.
My daughter likes dry rub ribs with a little heat. So I’m thinking slather with stone ground mustard and use a rub I got from Michlitch spice co. Would oil be better or mustard?

I've found that if you position the smoker with the firebox toward the prevailing wind it helps a little with "back-draft".
No reason at all you can't do the last steps in the oven.
I don't use a binder at all for a rub. You'd be surprised how well a rub sticks to wet meat.....
I hear ya on the prices. It's getting scary.

I've found that if you position the smoker with the firebox toward the prevailing wind it helps a little with "back-draft".
No reason at all you can't do the last steps in the oven.
I don't use a binder at all for a rub. You'd be surprised how well a rub sticks to wet meat.....
I hear ya on the prices. It's getting scary.
I don’t usually use a binder. Sometimes I do but don’t really know if there’s a benefit. Just wanting them to be perfect. Thank you.

Maybe put a 9x12 pan with some water in it with a rack on top if you go to the oven. Should help keep it moist

I used yellow mustard for years, then tried moistening with BBQ sauce. I like it better and won't go back.
And, I agree, 2,2,1 is what I do for babybacks. I do the 2 at 220, then 250, and 275 for the other 2 steps.
Wrapping with butcher paper instead of foil always seems to come out better IMO, too.

HTH!

Lots of ways to do BBs and they all work. Personally, the less fussing the better is my approach. Stopped wrapping years ago. Really no need for a binder, just lightly salt (depending on how the ribs were processed and taking into account what is in the rubs), apply rub(s) of choice, fire up the smoker to 225-240º and have at it. I do spritz with apple juice starting at hour 3 and every 40 or so minutes going forward. Important to know how to test for doneness. We prefer a clean bite as this is when the meat flavor is at its peak. Many prefer FOTB but for us that's well past prime flavor.

Nothing wrong with finishing them in the oven. For me I like to smoke them until done. I go by IT and for us it’s 195. If you want FOTB ribs take them to 200-205. It really doesn’t matter what the pit temp is.
At 225 they will take a bit longer, at higher temps they will get done sooner.
I just did a rack of stl’s yesterday & the smoker was running around 300. The ribs were done in a bit over 3 hours. Very juicy with good bark.
Al

Great Start "YJay" !!
I rarely did BabyBacks---Way to expensive around here.
Much cheaper for Pork Spares!! & more Meat.
Be Back for Finale.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky