AVG. fuel prices the pres quotes are BS....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I started using that upside app. Pretty cool. Shows you prices in the area and also get between 5-20ish cents back per gallon.

I don't much worry about regular prices as the Buick needs premium. Just dropped to $3.559 today only 20¢ above regular in town.
Leaving for Florida tomorrow. Noticed on previous trips that the price separation between regular and premium jumps a lot the further south we travel.
Didn't check diesel as the old Dodge got sent to the backyard today for the winter. I think it is around $4.899 but the cetane is so pathetically low, I add a healthy glug from the silver jug every fuel up plus the apple juice anti-gel so price is closer $5
The Buick literally calls out premium fuel?

I started using that upside app. Pretty cool. Shows you prices in the area and also get between 5-20ish cents back per gallon.
I use GasBuddy and until recently, they didn't offer cash back, just prices. Now they do, probably because of the Upside app, but they want me to "securely" link my checking account to a card they will send me. It may be completely secure, but I am leary and can't do that...

I've never looked into the Upside app so I don't know how it works...

The Buick literally calls out premium fuel?
Manual "recommends" using premium.
I fill with 91-93 when towing a trailer or back in MN because the car gets much less usage.
Now, It only gets premium if we stop at Costco, but most of the time just stay with 89. Premium in FL is 60¢ to $1 more per gallon

Reactions: jcam222
The label Premium kind of makes people think it is better gasoline. It isn't. For those in the know, you can stop reading. I just want to make sure people understand that Premium is no better than Regular. In fact, it is basically the exact same gasoline but has additives to increase the octane level to delay ignition for engines with higher combustion pressures to prevent knocking (aka premature ignition) under heavy loads. Yes, you can go up or down 1 or 2 octane numbers with no problem. My truck recommends 91 octane. I run 89, unless I'm pulling a trailer, then I bump it up. If I run 87, which is common outside CA, I can tell the difference in performance when pulling a trailer or climbing a mountain on the Interstate.

Want to foul an engine? Aviation fuel (non-jet) is typically 105-115 octane. Put that in an assembly line car and see what happens.

Reactions: jcam222
Son drives an 02 Buick Regal 3.8 with supercharger... runs 87 octane with 10 % ethanol. Runs perfect, no shortage of power or speed... not that I would know of course! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

I said above " It needs premium " . Wrong way to state that the manual recommends premium . I worked as an auto mechanic for over 10 years , I have an idea of how it works .
I also had a '66 Mustang that ran Sunoco white lighting . 102 octane from the gas station pump . Those days are gone .

Reactions: crazymoon
Sorry folks, but octane matters. Will a modern high compression/forced induction motor run on regular? Maybe, but it won't like it. Once the knock sensor gets a ping, the ECU will retard the $hit out of the timing and make it drive like a castrated bull. You want a bad day? Spark knock one of those on a hot summer day. I used to race a 2 liter 16v with 14.5 Wiseco pistons, and I currently drive a Mini with a blown 4 banger. Nothing less that 93 in those cars. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm talking production cars, not something off the set of the fast and furious.

Chris

It's not Fast and Furious. All production cars have knock sensors. Their ECU's will retard the timing if they pick up a detonation. Most cars these days are low compression, so lower octane fuel is fine. If you run a higher compression motor(which is more efficient), higher octane is a must. What gets my ass is that a motor running high compression, direct injection, forced induction, and running on ethanol is the way we SHOULD be going. I've seen a 2.4liter 4 banger motor running over 500 HP, and also knock down over 30 MPG under a light load on the interstate doing 80+. This EV crap is a boondoggle.

Reactions: bigfurmn
My 21 CX-9 has 2.5 turbo and they rate it with premium and regular gas. I am too old to care much about HP so I use regular. They say you can use either with no issues.

Reactions: noboundaries
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky