Authentic German Rouladens (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That looked so good I had to give it a try tonight, turned out great thanks for posting this!

Wow...I am honored that you were inspired to give this a try. Your plate looks fantastic!! Very nice job.

The ones I had in Poland had the mustard, onions and pickles as well.

They did mention that the variation you mentioned was popular in Poland so I can certainly see that. Indications are that there are several variations of this but man, the pickles just screamed at me :emoji_wink:

Found a pic of the last time I made it, with biscuits, mashed tators, spätzle, red cabbage and gravy.

WOW!! That looks amazing. Thanks for sharing now I have ideas for different things to go with them next time I make them.

Robert

Reactions: clifish
. Am sure there are various forms of this as I also make it but with some changes.

That was part of the perplexing nature of my research. There are numerous variations out there. I just read through a bunch of them and made up my own.

My wifes sister lives in Madgeburg Germany, Im going to ask her if they make this.

Wow Rick...I'd love to hear some input if you get a chance to chat with her. Be nice to hear it from somebody who is there and may have some insider info to share.

I'm not much on dill pickles, but I'd definitely give that a go! Like! Lots of germans settled here in Louisiana too.. but I've never seen that dish before.

Thanks Keith. The thing about these is you don't have to put the pickles in. In most regions of Germany they are not included. I like pickles though and when I saw those in some I read about, I had to go that route :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: indaswamp
That’s one heck of a dish Robert, the rouladens look absolutely delicious!

Thanks Joe. We really enjoyed them. Was a bit time consuming but well worth the effort.

Great looking meal Robert. Dang you just keep trying to earn another apron don't you.

Thank you Warren!! On that note, I'll take as many of those aprons as your amazing wife wants to send :emoji_wink: That thing is so cool and it's a proud time when I get to show it off to friends. Even more fun when I tell them how it came into my possession. Hard for some folks to imagine such a gift exchange among people who have never met and such generosity.

Robert

Wow Robert that is one hell of a meal man! I bet that gravy was off the charts exploding with flavor. And the potato casserole looks great as well. I would be happy to sit down to that meal anytime!

That was part of the perplexing nature of my research. There are numerous variations out there. I just read through a bunch of them and made up my own.

Wow Rick...I'd love to hear some input if you get a chance to chat with her. Be nice to hear it from somebody who is there and may have some insider info to share.

Thanks Keith. The thing about these is you don't have to put the pickles in. In most regions of Germany they are not included. I like pickles though and when I saw those in some I read about, I had to go that route :emoji_wink:

Robert
My wife said she has had this before. She was born in Germany, was there for 3 years. Also served in the USAF in Germany. She will talk to her sister.

My wife said she has had this before. She was born in Germany, was there for 3 years. Also served in the USAF in Germany. She will talk to her sister.
They positively have it in all of Germany, with variations based on region. My relatives in Koblenz and friends in Neuberg AD have variations of it.

Looks awesome. It has been a while since I have made beef rouladen. My recipe calls for dredging the rouladen in flour before coking but your recipe is nearly identical to mine as far as I can tell.

I may have to whip up a batch myself.

JC :emoji_cat:

A number of years ago we used to take motorcycle trips to a small German town about 100 miles west of us. There is a restaurant there we loved stopping at and their specialty was traditional German cuisine. I fell in love with the Rouladen they served and it was my staple dish when we stopped. The week before Labor Day Tracy and I went out there for a 3-day trip for me to chauffeur her around to visit a bunch of the world-class wineries that have been developed in that area. One night we went back to the restaurant that we loved only to be hugely disappointed. Ordered the Rouladen and it was horrible...to the point of being inedible. I still wanted one though so decided to make them. Did some reading to find the common denominators for the dish and set about creating it.

Started out putting together a potato casserole of sorts. Taters layered in with salt, pepper, a drizzle of EVOO, and sliced Cooper sharp white cheese then a splash of heavy cream on top
View attachment 514350

Defrost the skirt steak and cut it in half
View attachment 514351

Pound it out with the meat mallet, cover it with spicy German mustard, bacon, pickles, and diced onions
View attachment 514352

Roll them up, tie them off, and into a pan with a little EVOO to sear them
View attachment 514353

After being seared
View attachment 514354

Add onions, carrots, and celery then deglaze the pan with red wine. You want to get all the crunchies off the bottom to incorporate into the gravy, which is coming later
View attachment 514355

Add beef broth and put the Rouladens back in to simmer for a while. I covered the pan for this step
View attachment 514358

After simmering, remove the Rouladens, strain the broth, put it back in the pan sans the veggies, and add heavy cream
View attachment 514359

Thicken the broth into gravy with a corn starch slurry and put the Rouladens back in to simmer more and develop flavors from the gravy
View attachment 514360

Potato casserole was cooked on the grill and is done. Cooked for a while with the lid on to soften the potatoes then uncovered to brown up the cheese
View attachment 514361

Plated: Rouladens smothered with gravy, the potato casserole, and some kraut
View attachment 514362

Sliced shot
View attachment 514369

Come to find out from our good friend @Steve H ,the addition of the pickles is more of a regional thing and more commonly seen in Southern Germany. His wife is from Northern Germany so I'm strongly of the impression she knows what she's talking about :emoji_wink: These are typically made with thinly sliced beef but skirt steak was the best I could do. In summary, the flavor of the Rouladen was outstanding!! The cheese in the potato casserole came to me via @chef jimmyj in a recent exchange we did and it is some of the best cheese we've ever had. We love it and the casserole was extremely good. The star of the show however was that gravy. I've never had such a deep, rich, spicy, and flavorful gravy in all my life. The Rouladens could ave simmered a bit longer to get a tad more tender. They weren't tough by any means, just not as tender as they should have been. The addition of the pickles was fantastic and the flavors melded beautifully. Next time though I'll use thinner slices of pickles. They were a bit flavor forward. Using thinner slices will also make it easier to roll the things up. The big slices kept wanting to slide forward and mush out the front. Last critique was the kraut. We both love it but along with the pickles there was too much "sour". Recommend serving a less tart side dish. All in all a great meal but more importantly, a great learning experience. The next round I'll leave myself more time and they will be exceptional.

Thanks once again for sticking this one out. It was a superb meal that some folks might enjoy creating. Stay safe, be well, and we will see y'all again soon.

Robert
awesome. love different regional dishes you won't find in MiJami

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky