Auger Jammed on pellet smoker is meat still good- Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stes25

Original poster
May 26, 2024
I have a 8 pound pulled pork on the smoker at 530 at 225-240. All good and had to run and do some things at 830 and came back around around 1130. Temp in the smoker was at 120 and the meat was at 155. Was able to get the temp back up to 235 by 1230. Temp got to about 85 in the smoker and meat went to around 140. Will this still be safe to eat

Howdy, and welcome to the forum.
I'm a little confused about your situation.
If I am correct (but probably not. haha) You got back at 11:30 and the meat was at 155.
Is that the internal temp?

Then you say it took an hour to get from 120 back up to 235 ??? Seems like a long time.
But then, the temp in the grill dropped to 85 and meat dropped to 140 ???

Can you clarify?

Howdy, and welcome to the forum.
I'm a little confused about your situation.
If I am correct (but probably not. haha) You got back at 11:30 and the meat was at 155.
Is that the internal temp?

Then you say it took an hour to get from 120 back up to 235 ??? Seems like a long time.
But then, the temp in the grill dropped to 85 and meat dropped to 140 ???

Can you clarify?
So the pork was at 155 internal temp when i got home. By the time i got the smoker working the meat had dropped to 140 internal temp and the smoker was at 80 ambient temp which was about an hour of time. I then was able to get the smoker temp back up to 235. Sorry for the confusion. The current temp on the pulled pork is 185 now

At 155, your pork shoulder won't be tender, or even close to being tender. It is safe to eat if it is a commercialy bought shoulder. At 180° connective tissue starts to break down and makes the pork more tender.

At 155, your pork shoulder won't be tender, or even close to being tender. It is safe to eat if it is a commercialy bought shoulder. At 180° connective tissue starts to break down and makes the pork more tender.
Yeah I know I was more worried about the temp drop when the auger was down. I fixed the auger and continued smoking it. It currently is at 188 and will be pulled at 195 -200. I just did no like that it lost 15 degrees during the jam and wanted to make sure I was good to continue smoking it without worry

Unless I missed something, the OP is continuing the cook, but just making sure it was safe to do so, which it is.

Reactions: 02ebz06

Unless I missed something, the OP is continuing the cook, but just making sure it was safe to do so, which it is.

People. All whole muscle beef lamb and pork is safe to eat at 145 IT. Why aren't the OTBS members not getting the pinned food safety forum top posts. Damn

People. All whole muscle beef lamb and pork is safe to eat at 145 IT. Why aren't the OTBS members not getting the pinned food safety forum top posts. Damn
We know that which is why I said it was safe to continue the cook.

Yeah I know I was more worried about the temp drop when the auger was down. I fixed the auger and continued smoking it. It currently is at 188 and will be pulled at 195 -200. I just did no like that it lost 15 degrees during the jam and wanted to make sure I was good to continue smoking it without worry
If you want it tender and to pull easily, check it for probe tenderness 1st, don't go by temp alone. So use a temp probe, or wood skewer... once that slides in easily in multiple spots, then it's ready to be pulled. Some might be ready at 200, others might go to 210... they are all different.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky