Auber vs iQue for the WSM 22.5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did you have the damper on the Guru blower fully open?  I always start with mine around 1/4 open to control the initial temp run up from the just lit charcoal.  This in my one complaint about a flower pot base in a WSM.  Once the temps have spiked like you experienced, there is not much other than the meat to help pull them back down like a full water pan will do.  If you can avoid the spike, the flower pot base works great and will make your fuel go a lot longer however.

This is one of the reasons I just stuck with a water pan (ECB charcoal pan replacement) and water on my overnight pork shoulder smokes.  Less chance of a run-a-way overheat while I slept.

Here is a photo of the sliding damper I'm talking about.  It's the sliding gate at the base of the round portion of the blower.  Photos are from the Naked Whiz review of the DigiQ II model which can be found at the following link (it's a pretty comprehensive, multi-page review for someone considering a Guru purchase).

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/digiq2/digiq1.htm

dae83173_nanoqblower2.jpg

Here is a view looking down the "barrel" of the blower of the 10cfm "pit viper" model with the gate/damper slid to 1/2 open...

e62d8be1_nanoqblower3.jpg

This is how I set it up. I make a ring around the coffee can then put about 8 lit briquettes at one end, it will follow the charcoal around the ring & the fire will never get too big.

Here's a photo:

2f92f8ad_minnion2.jpg

Thanks, I'll have to try it that way next time.  I'm smoking a brisket so thank God I had my MES beside it.  I just fired up the MES and put the brisket in there instead of the WSM.  You do it that way and still get a good 15-20 hours out of it?

Thanks, I'll have to try it that way next time.  I'm smoking a brisket so thank God I had my MES beside it.  I just fired up the MES and put the brisket in there instead of the WSM.  You do it that way and still get a good 15-20 hours out of it?

Yes but you need to fill the ring to the top & get the ends as close as possible without touching.

for the 18.5 you probably just used too many coals....with the WSM it only takes a few to get it started..then slowly let your temps rise then shut down your dampers. and let your guru take over.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky