Atomic buffalo turds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeppers that's the key the seeds and membrain is hot the rest is just like green peppers. One seed and it's hot. Slice them in half and cut out all the seeds and all the white and it's not hot at all.

I'm making my first batch today for a party, using the recipe you posted. I'll let you all know how they turn out! Everyone I've mentioned them to has been intrigued by the name.
icon_mrgreen.gif

The turds were a huge hit! I made an enormous batch and they got gone like that *snap*

Great recipe, low&slow!

Thank you, I wish I could take credit for the recipe but I got it from the SMF.
They are good though, my friends ask for them everytime I barbecue now.
ABT's are a "must do" now. Im glad to hear you liked them.

Looks great Squeezy! I never noticed they had any heat though. I pickle them for sammies. Gotta try them as ABTs or is it HBTs?

Quick question on these suckers:

1. At what temp do you smoke them and for how long (water pan or not?)

2. Do you precook the bacon at all

Thanks

300 degrees for about 30 minutes or until bacon is done.
No need to precook bacon, just wrap them raw.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Dont forget the pics.

I tried my hand at ABT's...and they were WAYYYYYY too HOTTTTT!!! Even Jeff was...well...about to choke (I think....those were jalapeno induced tears running down his face...although, he could've been crying happy tears I suppose....)

I did remove the seeds, but I didn't slice them in half, so maybe there was just too much jalapeno altogether? I do think I laid hold of a REALLLY hot batch of peppers, because we like hot stuff, and those things were nearly inedible...I was second guessing myself, wondering if I even bought jalapenos...they were cooked quite well done, so...it had to either be a hot bunch or the fact that I left them whole?????

So...I suppose next time I'll try halving them, and if that doesn't work, we'll have to try a milder pepper.

Hey.. that was tears of utter joy
icon_mrgreen.gif

ABT's do that to ya!!!

Seriously.. I think she left the seeds in the one I ate. I do "hot" quite well and these had me in tears.. my kids were laughing at me.. it was awful..

going to see my therapist now...

I did NOT leave in the seeds!
PDT_Armataz_01_02.gif

At least...I don't think I did...

I do think they were really hot peppers....well, I KNOW they were really hot peppers....
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Excellent job on the ABT's, they look really good! How did you manage to get the pictures loaded without them being thumbnails?

You're right, some japs are just hotter than others. Also, there is a lot of heat in the white membrane. We do oure whole, cut the top off, then scrape out the inside with a potato peeler.

Younger peppers are generally milder. If you want less heat, avoid japs that have a hard feel or checking on the skin. Cooking will make them milder, but won't get rid of the heat altogether.

We usually make a few with those mini sweet bell peppers that come in a plastic box. They add some nice color and sweetness, and acommodate those with a low tolerance for heat.

Tim

I read somewhere that all the heat is in the white ribs part of the jalapeno.
Thats why I cut mine in halves, so I can cut away the seeds and the white ribs too. Theres usually no heat whatsoever when done like that.

I got the pictures big like that by using photobucket. All my pics are too big to use the SMF uploader. I tried to download that image resizer that people use here but it wont let me for some reason. So I just use photobucket.

Can't you can resize @ photobucket too?

I used some japs from the garden last night that had stayed on the vine a bit too long, removed the membranes and seeds, chopped them up fairly fine and put them in some pico de gallo, and membrane or not, they were pretty stout. Of course, they weren't cooked either.

Tim

I think Tim is correct. Some are just hotter. Last batch I made I removed the membranes completely, made sure every last seed was out, rinsed the insides, dried them, cooked them 3 hours and some were still very hot, and I am not squeamish about the heat. When my daughter said "Daddy, why is your face so red" I knew something was up, lol.

Abby:

I had the same experience. They were so hot I posted pictures here to make sure they were jalapenos, which they were. Some are just hotter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky