at what temp does wood start to smoke ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
this is related to another thread but anyways , what temp does wood begin to smoke , knowing the heat soarce is going to be much hotter the question is how hot does the wood have to become before it begins giving off smoke ?

Reactions: JLeonard
And remember, there's bad smoke (white, gray, or black) and good smoke (thin blue to invisible).
This is correct, however, I “smolder “ wood chunks in a CI pan in my smokehouse. Pan temp stays right around 500-ish degrees and the smoke is white, but as it mixes with air traveling up it turns blue and produces beautiful meats.

I have a bunch of posts about using electric heat to pyrolyse wood, and the short answer for something that you would consider blue smoke is between 570-630F.
My designs generally use an electric heater to destructively distill the wood to obtain creasote, and then rely on it burning on the floor or sides of the combustion chamber.to create actual smoke.
It seems to work pretty well.

i do know good smoke from bad just needed to know the temp wood begins to smoke for something rolling around in my mind

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky