Asparagus again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
Here comes this years batch. My patch is 25 years old and starting to go down hill. When this patch was prime could get 1-1 1/2 # every other day for 6-8 weeks. Depending on weather of course. Got crowns coming next week to start a new patch. Can’t get enough of this when fresh. We freeze surplus but no where near the same as fresh.
08902E7B-7225-49C9-B417-8C1084D00757.jpeg

Love asparagus! I'm having "asparagus again" tonight. A weekly thing...
Never tried growing it...those look good.

I have always liked asparagus but had never had it fresh, till a couple weeks ago when a friend gave me a handful out of his patch. It was a revelation. It was like a totally different critter.

Got me thinking about starting a patch of my own.

Got me thinking about starting a patch of my own.

You will have trouble eating store bought after this. After the work of planting & getting started they are easy to maintain & should last 20 years. FYI If you pursue this thought get one of the jersey knight strains. Awesome producers.

Reactions: one eyed jack
You will have trouble eating store bought after this. After the work of planting & getting started they are easy to maintain & should last 20 years. FYI If you pursue this thought get one of the jersey knight strains. Awesome producers.

After eating it fresh, one time, I am convinced that store bought will be a big disappointment, next time I try it.

Thanks for the tip on the Jersey Knight variety. I'll look into it.

Looks good, we had a small patch a few years back, but then we got to busy to tend the garden.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky